Government & Public Sector
Government and Public Sector tax services
The Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act came into effect on 1 July 2014, marking the first milestone in the reform towards a performance-driven and risk-based governance model in the Federal Government.
Department and agency tax functions may get the job done, but often with less comfort and perhaps more risk than is optimal.
When it comes to tax, the best toolkit for government includes:
- Knowledgeable people
- Robust controls
- Effective processes
- Innovative technologies
- The use of ANAO and ATO’s recommended programs and frameworks designed to increase certainty and reduce the incidence of disputes
To improve service delivery, government tax functions will be expected to have processes and procedures that can continuously identify, assess and manage the department’s tax risks. Developing an effective tax function for which tax compliance can be coordinated and measured against is the challenge.
Poor tax risk management practices and a lack of clear accountability mechanisms delay overall governance and performance and cause permanent damage to the department’s brand or reputation.
We can help you to manage complex statutory accountability arrangements and realign your tax function with the department’s strategic direction. This will ensure tax performance is consistent with annual and long-term operational plans, supporting departmental goals.
Our dedicated Government and Public Sector Tax Team brings you technical knowledge, practical experience and proven methodologies including:
- Tax compliance services (indirect taxes and employment taxes) - ranging from high level review to end-to-end preparation engagements
- Design and review of tax governance frameworks, strategies and operating models
- Tax function assessment – including tax risk reviews and internal controls remediation
- Taxation due diligence support
- Machinery of government transition framework
- Tax data analytics
- Compliance technology design and implementation
- Review and identification of efficiencies under a shared services model
- Tax equivalence and competitive neutrality regimes
- Human Capital – inter-departmental employee movements and associated tax compliance services
- Tax policy development
- Tax advisory services around issues specific to government departments
Connect with us
Stay connected with us through social media, email alerts or webcasts. Or download our EY Insights app for mobile devices.
+61 2 6267 3876