Global oil and gas transactions review 2013

Midstream transaction activity drops, but disclosed value up

  • Share

Midstream segments turned in mixed results in 2013.

Deal activity — the number of announced deals (90) — was down by almost 14% in 2013. However, reported or disclosed deal value increased to $71 billion in 2013, an increase of about 17% over 2012.

Midstream transaction activity, both in terms of the number of deals and the reported value of deals, is dominated by the US and Canada. Together, the two countries accounted for more than 70% of all midstream deals and about 70% of the global midstream disclosed value.

Deal activity involving pipelines accounted for the largest portion of midstream activity — 36 out of the total of 90 deals (40%) and almost $27 billion in disclosed value (about 39% of the total). There were 33 transactions involving gathering assets in 2013 (37%), with total disclosed deal value of almost $27 billion (about 40% of the total). As with the other segments, asset transactions dominate the midstream landscape, accounting for 77% of all deals and about 59% of all disclosed transaction value.

Top 10 midstream transactions in 2013 based on disclosed value

EY’s chart top 10 midstream transactions in 2013

Top 10 midstream transactions in 2013 based on disclosed value


EY’s chart top 10 midstream transactions in 2013

×