French student named EY Young Tax Professional of the Year 2013
30 August 2013
30 August 2013 COPENHAGEN – French student Mathieu Ferré has been named EY’s Young Tax Professional of the Year 2013 at an awards ceremony held in Copenhagen, Denmark. Mathieu, who is studying for a Master in Business Law at Université Toulouse 1 Capitole, was picked from among 28 country finalists, each of whom had already been named as the Young Tax Professional of the Year in their home country.
Second and third prizes respectively were awarded to:
- Johannes Small, South Africa –Master of Commerce in Taxation at University of Pretoria
- Charishma Motwani, India – Bachelor of Commerce, R A Podar College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai University
Stephan Kuhn, EY’s Europe, Middle East, India and Africa’s Tax Leader comments: "The Young Tax Professional of the Year Program is about finding the tax leaders of tomorrow. Created to recognize and develop outstanding young talent, this worldwide competition gives participants the chance to share experiences with people from a range of backgrounds and cultures.
“Most importantly, it is an opportunity to make long-lasting connections with some of the sharpest minds in the tax world as well as leading figures from global organizations, learning from them along the way and understanding what the challenges are for the profession. It's a unique opportunity for today’s brightest talents to get their career off to a remarkable start."
Winning student Mathieu says: “While this competition confirmed that technical knowledge is the starting point of the tax professional’s journey, it has also shown me that talented tax professionals need to expand and diversify their knowledge as well as intercultural skills. You need to understand the economic reality, business impact and management issues of the tax environment. I now know that a career in tax also means a career in management.”
The three award winners were presented with the following prizes:
- First prize: a 30-day “round-the-world” business trip featuring 10 working visits to key EY tax centers in London, Washington DC and Hong Kong
- Second prize: a 10-day visit to one of EY’s tax centers
- Third prize: an invitation to participate in an EY international client conference, at which the winner will have the opportunity to meet some of our tax leaders and key clients
Find out more about EY’s Young Tax Professional of the Year Award 2012 by visiting us at: www.ey.com/ytpy.
Notes to editors
The judging panel is comprised of a distinguished group from EY’s Tax practice and influential members of the tax community from government, academia and corporations:
- Bernard Bacci, Tax Vice President, Vivendi Group
- Christer Bell, Tax Director, LEGO
- Jeroen Davidson, EY Partner, The Netherlands
- Steven Glenn, Tax Director, Warburg Pincus
- Barbara Kessler, Tax Director, Novartis
- Jean-Pierre Lieb, French Tax Authorities
- Frank Muntendam, EY Partner, Luxembourg
- Pasquale Pistone, Professor in International Tax, University of Vienna
- Rosalind Upton, EY Partner, United Kingdom
EY is a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services. The insights and quality services we deliver help build trust and confidence in the capital markets and in economies the world over. We develop outstanding leaders who team to deliver on our promises to all of our stakeholders. In so doing, we play a critical role in building a better working world for our people, for our clients and for our communities.
EY refers to the global organization, and may refer to one or more, of the member firms of Ernst & Young Global Limited, each of which is a separate legal entity. Ernst & Young Global Limited, a UK company limited by guarantee, does not provide services to clients. For more information about our organization, please visit ey.com.
This news release has been issued by EYGM Limited, a member of the global EY organization that also does not provide any services to clients.