Effective business continuity management
Ready for the challenge
A comprehensive business continuity management (BCM) program, that incorporates business continuity (BC), disaster recovery (DR) and crisis management, is a must for business organizations.
In today's global economy, virtually every aspect of a company's operation is vulnerable to disruption, and the risk and cost of disruption extend well beyond information technology (IT).
Studies show that two out of five businesses that experience a disaster go out of business within five years.
Our BCM advisory services include developing the framework, process, procedures and tools necessary to:
- Manage a coordinated incident response
- Maximize personnel protection
- Reduce risk of data loss
- Oversee the recovery effort defined by critical business needs
- Continually learn from the experience and improve
The most common problem with BCM programs is the lack of governance integration between BC and DR. This often leads to disconnected initiatives, as well as misalignment of business direction and technology strategies, which could hinder timely recovery after a disruption.
Establishing an integrated governance model for a BCM program is not a simple undertaking. According to the our 2012 Global Information Security Survey:
- 17% of the respondents say their organizations do not have a BCM program in place, and of the organizations that do have a BCM program
- Only 25% believe that their programs reflect a leading practice approved by senior management with defined standards and guidelines, roles and responsibilities and tools and techniques.
Studies show that two out of five businesses that experience a disaster go out of business within five years. For organizations that can effectively respond to and manage a disaster, a critical success factor is strong commitment from senior executives and the establishment of a BCM governance process.