EY announces 16 Finalists for the 14th edition of the Entrepreneur of the Year Awards
Mumbai, 14 February 2013 — EY, the leading professional services firm, today announced that 16 of the country’s most innovative business leaders have been selected as the finalists for its 14th Entrepreneur Of The Year (EOY) – India 2012 from several outstanding self-nominations. The EY Entrepreneur Of The Year is the only global award to honor entrepreneurs. All finalists will be felicitated at a grand celebratory banquet on 21 February, 2013 in Mumbai.
The winners will be announced across several categories from the 16 finalists, with one being judged as the country winner. The country winner will represent India at the EY World Entrepreneur of the Year Award (WEOY) in Monte Carlo in June, 2013.
The finalists have been selected by an independent 9-member jury led by Mr. R.C. Bhargava, Chairman, Maruti Suzuki Limited. Other jury members for the India 2012 program include Mr. A. Vellayan (Murugappa Group); Mr. G.V.Prasad (Dr. Reddys Laboratories); Mr. Harsh Mariwala (Marico); Mr. Ishaat Hussain (Tata Sons); Dr. Rajiv B. Lall (IDFC); Mr.S. Ramadorai (TCS); Mr. Sanjay Nayar (KKR India); Ms. Shikha Sharma (Axis Bank).
The EY Entrepreneur Of The Year award is the only business award to be based on self-nomination and is now in its successful 14th year in the country. Says Rajiv Memani, Country Managing Partner, EY India, “The outstanding nominations reflect the increasing entrepreneurial success stories in India. Our finalists have demonstrated remarkable innovation and customer focus to ride out tough market conditions, while also building scale and making their mark on the global business landscape."
The Finalists for EY Entrepreneur Of The Year 2012:
- Adi Godrej, Chairman, Godrej Group;
- Amit Jatia, Vice Chairman, Hardcastle Restaurants India;
- Chandu Chavan, Chairman and MD, Innoventive Industries;
- Dr. Cyrus S Poonawalla, Chairman and MD, Serum Institute of India;
- Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty, Chairman, Narayana Hrudayalaya Group of Hospitals;
- Dhiraj C Rajaram, Founder, Chairman and CEO, MuSigma Business Solutions;
- Francisco D’Souza, Vice Chairman, Cognizant Technology Solutions;
- Kishor Patil, Co-Founder, MD and CEO; KPIT Cummins Infosystems;
- Madan Mohan Mohanka, Chairman and MD, Tega Industries;
- Dr. Naresh Trehan, Chairman and MD; Medanta - The Medicity;
- Onkar S Kanwar, Chairman and MD, Apollo Tyres;
- Rajesh Lihala, Chairman and Director; Fourcee Infrastructure Equipments
- Romesh Sobti, MD and CEO, IndusInd Bank;
- Santosh Varalwar, MD and CEO, Vivimed Labs;
- T T Jagannathan, Chairman and MD, TTK Group;
- V.S.S Mani, MD and CEO, Just Dial;
Apart from varied criterion such as entrepreneurial spirit, financial performance, strategic direction, innovation and personal integrity, the jury considered the impact the nominees were delivering in terms of a significant contribution to the India growth story.
“Entrepreneurs are the true ‘engineers of growth’ as they have proven seminal to the success and progress of fast-growing economies like India. At EY, we have long recognized the potential of entrepreneurs and our commitment to help them succeed motivates us every day. Together, our finalists represent many unique business models and breakthrough ideas which are touching the lives of millions of people across India,” says Farokh Balsara, Partner and EOY India Program Leader.
The winners join the ranks of legendary business leaders and award recipients such as Rahul Bhatia (IndiGo), N.R Narayana Murthy (Infosys), Ratan Tata (Tata Group), Mukesh D Ambani (Reliance), Sunil Bharti Mittal (Bharti Group), Kumar Mangalam Birla (Aditya Birla Group), Subhash Chandra (Zee Telefilms), Anil Agarwal (Vedanta), Tulsi Tanti (Suzlon), Anand Mahindra (M&M) and Dilip Shanghvi (Sun Pharmaceuticals).
Says Mr. R C Bhargava, Jury Chairman, “India’s wealth of entrepreneurial talent reflects in the excellent quality of nominations we received this year. The selection of finalists was a rigorous and transparent process. The Jury considered parameters which combined innovation with market focus, goal orientation with execution, and agility with the ability to build global scale.”
- Ends -