Advisory careers: help our clients manage risk and improve performance
Our Advisory service line focuses on helping clients to improve their performance and manage their risks more effectively.
We work with clients to address their specific circumstances and turn strategy into reality. Whether it’s an improved finance function, enhanced supply chain or superior customer management, we’re able to offer added value. This is why Advisory is our fastest-growing service line - with nearly 20,000 professionals around the world.
For you, these circumstances offer Although we offer a range of services in Advisory, we are also segmented by the markets we operate in. We have strong industry specific teams that cut through competencies and allow us to provide excellent insight and market expertise to clients.
For you, this offers a huge variety of challenges and the opportunity to make a serious impact on our clients’ businesses – and your own career. You’ll also have the potential to become market leaders within a given sector and opportunity to take your career to a global level.
If your background lies within financial services, find out here how we work with clients from this industry.
Within Advisory we operate in several business areas. Click on the tabs to find out more, or discover more about working at EY from our Advisory people.
Join our multi-disciplinary teams and help many of the world's leading organisations to stay at the top of their game.
Work closely with multinational businesses and the public sector to understand their risks and develop plans to deal with these.
Other advisory services
Our other advisory areas, such as IT risk and strategic direction, offer you a diverse range of challenges working with top organisations.
Find out about the opportunities currently available at EY, and how you can apply for them.
Enhancing some of the world's leading businesses
As one of our performance improvement advisors, you'll help many of the world's leading organisations improve their performance in a rapidly changing environment.
You'll be part of multidisciplinary teams, bringing diverse perspectives to every challenge. You'll have the opportunity to build your skills in one of our focused competency groups, which include:
Our Finance team works with clients to address issues of importance to CFOs in creating value and delivering world-class finance capabilities. Working closely with our industry groups and leveraging the EY brand as independent, trusted advisors, we provide our high profile clients with the following range of services:
- Finance transformation and finance performance improvement
- Shared services and outsourcing support
- Planning and performance management
- Budgeting, planning and forecasting
Our clients include many of today's leading global companies, innovative growth companies and major government departments. They also include large companies within our national and regional markets.
Our Customer team helps the world's leading organisations attract, retain and grow profitable customer relationships. Examples of the business challenges we help our clients with include:
- Customer strategy and experience: segmentation, customer strategy and proposition development, pricing, channel strategy, customer journey improvement
- Customer operations and technology: service effectiveness, sales effectiveness, marketing effectiveness, channel management, people and operating model, information and insight, partnering ecosystems, process improvement
- Customer implementation: initiative identification and roadmaps, supplier selection, CRM programme management
Some projects require deep analytical capability, structured and innovative problem-solving to generate insight from the numbers and formulate high impact recommendations. Others, the tenacity and relationship management skills to facilitate diverse groups of stakeholders through challenging change journeys. Most need a combination of both. All, though, require the ability to work side-by-side with our clients to create long-lasting value for their organisations.
Our Supply Chain and Operations team offer three key offerings in this space, supply chain transformation, commercial excellence and procurement, and process and asset excellence. Leading organisations are increasingly looking to improve performance of their supply chains to deliver reduced cost, increased revenue and, most importantly, increased shareholder and customer value. We collaborate with these clients to assist with strategy through to execution, in order to:
- Provide insight into the health of supply chains by using a robust set of data analytics
- Transform global supply chains through a cross-disciplinary approach spanning operations, tax and risk
- Review, improve and assess risk of procurement functions to realise long-term, sustainable benefits
- Improve supply chains and infrastructure in emerging markets as a powerful catalyst to secure new market share and drive revenue growth
- Integrate environmental, sustainable and low carbon aspects into end-to-end supply chains
- Provide sector-specific supply chain insights with our experienced industry supply chain professionals
As part of our Strategy practice, you will work with our clients to help solve their toughest strategic issues and deliver high-value, actionable recommendations. Primarily the team work in the Products & Services and Energy sectors, with a focus on Commercial Strategy in the Sales and Marketing functions. Typical projects could focus on:
- Channel strategy and route-to-market
- Customer trade investment strategy
- Product pricing and promotional strategies
- Market entry and growth strategy
- Brand strategy and portfolio optimisation
- Commercial operating model design
- Corporate strategy and strategic planning
- Capital allocation / portfolio rationalisation
- Enterprise cost reduction
- Enterprise operating model design
- Transformation architecture/ roadmap
Some projects require deep analytical capability, structured and innovative problem-solving to generate insight from the numbers and formulate high impact recommendations. Others, the tenacity and relationship management skills to facilitate diverse groups of stakeholders through challenging change journeys. Most need a combination of both. All, though, require the ability to work side-by-side with our clients to create long-lasting value for the organisation.
Our Programme Advisory Service (PAS) team within Advisory helps the world's leading organisations with designing and implementing major programmes and projects across a variety of markets and sectors.
We work with clients to reduce the risk of programme failure and improve confidence in the successful delivery of anticipated benefits. Through independent assessment, we help to reduce unwanted surprises by identifying critical risks in time to make informed decisions and avoid costly overruns. Typical project work includes:
- Managing large scale projects and programmes
- Providing advice and guidance on projects and programmes
- Managing or working in a Programme Management Office (PMO)
- Auditing projects and programmes across industry sectors
We have a strong global team that focus on capital projects and infrastructure, corporate transformation projects and real estate projects, which makes us strongly aligned to our clients’ local markets.
IT Advisory Professionals at EY focus on client challenges to help deliver improved business performance by addressing the IT and business agenda together. We work directly with CIOs to create a more effective IT organisation. This allows IT to drive process efficiencies throughout the organisation and better support and deliver transformational business change. Our IT Advisory practice consists of the following teams:
- Programme Delivery: focused on delivering major programme transformations. Our team operates across all phases of the IT project lifecycle including planning and scoping, high-level design, detailed design, build, test, deploy and support.
- Architecture: integrated across our market sectors, we bring together architecture professionals with depth of talent, breadth of experience and knowledge of architecture (enterprise, data and application), technology and innovation.
- Enterprise Intelligence Capability: focused on delivering leading edge business intelligence & analytics, enterprise performance management and data and information management services to our clients. We offer services ranging from strategy development to programme delivery assurance and governance.
- Business Applications: a diverse range of talented professionals from the following technical disciplines, SAP, Oracle, ERP, CRM and Billing.
Our experience and business-led approach enables us to assess complex IT and business landscapes that our clients operate within, and work with them to develop their strategic blueprints, architectures and roadmaps. We address issues ranging from system replacement to full IT transformation, working through tactical issues while also considering the bigger-picture and potential impacts on the overall enterprise.
People and Organisation
Our People & Organisational Change team maximises the benefits and minimises the risk of sustainable change in leading organisations through a focus on four areas:
- Change architecture: creating a change architecture that defines an integrated change journey for an organisation.
- Organisation design: creating an organisation design that determines effective organisation solutions to support the desired business outcomes.
- Culture and behavioural change: embedding cultural and behavioural change across an organisation to ensure that benefits are maintained.
- Leadership coaching: creating change leaders who are skilled and willing to drive change at all levels in the organisation.
You'll work closely with other areas of our organisation too — Risk in particular. We'll help you achieve your goals by supporting your professional development and giving you experience with a diverse range of clients and projects.
Risk management protects business performance and helps sustain results. It's about achieving a clear understanding of risks and developing plans to manage them. Our Risk team has two key sub teams: Core Risk and IT Risk.
As one of our risk professionals, you'll work with multinational businesses and public sector organisations. You'll help them develop an integrated, holistic approach to risk and benefit from their investments in internal controls.
You'll deliver some of the most significant and class-leading internal audit and risk engagements globally. You'll also team with our performance improvement professionals in multidisciplinary engagements, helping major global clients transform and sustain business performance. The two key areas we offer assistance with risk management are:
- Commercial and contract risk
Getting value for money from contracts and spend with third parties is an ongoing challenge for most organisations. This is increasingly true in today’s economic environment where reducing costs and conserving cash are priorities. As Commercial and Contract Risk professional you’ll be involved in various activities, including: post deal vendor/ contract management with a focus on cost control, contract business case set-up and through life delivery outturn assessment, deal shaping, negotiating and contract structuring, dispute management, deal restructuring, renegotiation, contract exit / renewal programmes and in-sourcing / outsourcing of complex services.
- Internal audit
Internal Audit is a key part of an organisation's corporate governance and risk management structure. As an Internal Audit specialist you’ll work with our clients as fully outsourced internal audit providers, co-sourcing partners and transformation advisors. You’ll report directly to the Audit Committee and Board, and provide independent assurance that processes and controls operated by the business are working, and are effective in managing the key financial and operational risks that they face.
By plugging into our market-leading global network, you'll gain the experience you need to become an exceptional risk advisor.
Our IT risk and assurance professionals help organisations address the challenge of managing IT risks in a way that is in line with their business strategy. As an IT risk and assurance expert, you’ll draw on in-depth technical and IT-related risk management knowledge to help within one of the following teams:
- IT Controls Services
IT Controls Services focus on the design, implementation and rationalisation of controls that potentially reduce the risks in the application, infrastructure and data layer of the IT function. Information security is a key area of focus in the current landscape of mobile technology, social media and cloud computing.
- IT Risk Transformation
We help clients identify the most important risks, design frameworks to manage them and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of IT risk management through technology assistance. This fast-growing area of our business is broken into two areas: IT Advisory and Cross-Advisory.
- IT Assurance
Our independent position and assessment capabilities provide clients with a candid and reliable overview of their IT risk landscape and the controls in place.
If your background is in Financial Services, find out how you can be part of our award-winning Financial Services Risk practice.
As a leader in the healthcare advisory market, EY is at the heart of positive change within the NHS. Our strength comes from the range of experience and expertise our people are able to bring.
If you have the vision to create real change,but feel you lack the platform to make it happen, our award-winning healthcare advisory practice offers a perfect opportunity. We’re looking for healthcare transformation experts who want to work in a varied, fast-paced and rewarding team.
We're experiencing growing demand for healthcare consultancy support not just in the UK, but globally. Whilst international travel is not mandatory, there are exciting opportunities available to individuals interested in gaining experience of working in different health systems for a period of time.
If you bring us your ideas, commitment and understanding, we’ll reward you with professional and personal development that will last a lifetime.
Apply now to one of our current opportunities:
Apply now to one of our opportunities
Opportunities in Advisory
You have a strong track record within industry, a consultancy or a professional services firm, and you want to advance your career. If you believe in exceptional client service and have a global mindset, EY can help you excel in your career.
Our Advisory consultants are tackling some of the most complex issues that our global clients face: the transformation of markets, technological innovations, and rapid social and economic change. With your creativity, excellent problem-solving skills and intellectual curiosity, you’ll help clients to manage risk, improve performance and make change happen.
EY offers huge opportunities to solve tomorrow’s business problems today. To learn more, use the links below or go to Job search for full details of opportunities available.
If you have skills and expertise not covered by our current vacancies, please register your interest to become a Senior Consultant, Manager or Senior Manager in Advisory.
Find out about our Advisory career opportunities working with Financial Services organisations.
Meet our Advisory people
At EY our inclusive work environment means everyone's opinion is valued. Whether a recent joiner or long-serving member of the firm, all our employees have a unique story to tell.
Click the image below to watch some of our Advisory people talk about their experiences.
In-house Advisory opportunities
Join our in-house Advisory team of experienced and dynamic professionals and you’ll have the opportunity to work alongside senior stakeholders across our global organisation. You'll develop your consulting career with EY as your client and you’ll enjoy the pace of global work without the pressures of out of town commuting and sales targets.
You'll play a part in delivering EY's strategic change projects affecting 190,000 people across 150 countries as we seek to achieve our market leading growth objectives.
We’re looking for high performers with a strong consulting background who want to develop and grow personally and professionally, and who are as excited about the possibilities of the future as we are. Be part of it.
Apply for a role in our in-house Advisory team.
With us, you'll:
- Join a global team of high-performing, like-minded professionals from the Big 4
- Help enable the implementation of global priority projects and transformational change
- Work on global and strategic projects, with leaders from across the business
- Establish and leverage strong client knowledge and relationships
- Retain consulting ways of working, where EY is your client, and continue to grow professionally
- Avoid out-of-town assignments, with only occasional travel.