Real Estate, Hospitality & Construction
Real Estate, Hospitality & Construction Advisory services
As the UK continues to be a highly attractive destination for international investment, the sector is increasing its focus on operational infrastructure.
Boards, COOs, CFOs and executive management are all demanding greater transparency, accountability and management of real estate spend. This means you need:
- robust estate strategies based on understanding your spend
- strong business cases to support location decisions
- a clear programme for creating the workplace of the future
- FM contract management using the appropriate commercial levers
- a strategy for getting the best from your third party supplier, using the right operating models and incentive mechanisms.
Our UK and Ireland Real Estate Advisory team advises both corporate occupiers (private and public sector organisations) and real estate investors, including developers, property companies, banks, landowners and service providers.
Our understanding of market trends in corporate real estate strategy, and our network of property professionals is extensive, and can help you succeed across all areas of your real estate portfolio.
- Reducing costs
Real Estate is a significant cost area for most businesses and public sector services, and presents huge cost rationalisation opportunities in a challenging economic environment.
- Location advisory and workplace
Relocation and optimisation of real estate space can be an area of significant saving for many businesses, and more corporates are considering new location and cross-border investment strategies to adapt to global change.
Our clients often come to us with these questions:
- How can I reduce costs by unlocking value from real estate?
- What is the best option for my business: offshoring, near-shoring, expansion or co location?
- How do regions, countries and cities compare today and tomorrow?
- Is a choice the right choice for my business’ future?
- Are there any relevant government grants available?
We provide independent, confidential advice on new locations, expansions and consolidations.
We have advised a significant number of major business headquarters, offices, call centres and shared service centres. We help you ensure your corporate locations and labour force are in the right place, at the right cost, to enable your wider business strategy.
We can help with:
- Cost reduction: Relocation of roles to lower cost markets
- Planning for growth: Alignment of corporate locations with future business needs
- Office and headquarters relocation and consolidation.
As well as offering support with specific location strategies, we can help reduce other real estate costs.
- Property cost reduction
- Facilities: We help assess and negotiate facilities management contracts to reduce costs.
- Property management: We help investment companies evaluate and improve property management processes and controls. By assessing your property manager’s performance against contractual arrangements, we can potentially negotiate more favourable terms and realise significant savings.
- Capital investment: We advise you on each stage of the capital investment process, from business case through to procurement and delivery. At each stage we can work with you to negotiate favourable contract terms and control costs.
- Diagnostic reviews: We can lead reviews across estate assets, FM contracts and workforce to identify how you can reduce property costs and will work with you to drive forward and implement agreement savings initiatives.
- Location advisory and workplace
- Property and Facilities Management Strategic Advisory Services
Real Estate and Facilities Management costs make up a significant amount of most businesses’ and public services’ budget and, in a challenging economic environment, rationalising these costs is key.
We can help your business across the Estates and Facilities Management lifecycle, in the following areas:
- Contract review: Reviewing existing facilities and property management contracts to identify spend that is not in line with contractual requirements, where you have been overcharged, or where expected contract benefits have not been delivered. This includes benchmarking costs against peers and industry norms and negotiating contract terms.
- Estates and facilities management strategy: Advising on the development of an estates and/or facilities management strategy, including establishing a current baseline (demand, services, delivery model, contracts, costs), developing a Target Operating Model and implementation plan.
- Strategic sourcing: Providing financial, commercial and other professional advisory services on the sourcing process, contracts retendering and negotiations with suppliers.
- Contract mobilisation and transition: Establishing a programme management office to support the transition and mobilisation of services to suppliers.
We can help:
- Improve efficiencies through outsourcing to a single or smaller number of suppliers
- Free up management to focus on core business activities
- Ensure the right suppliers, with the latest knowledge and best skills, are being used
- Verify that contracts are delivering anticipated benefits
- Produce consistent, robust management information, and reduce systems requirements
- Ensure consistent service levels and performance measures across the portfolio
- Establish a real estate and facilities management strategy aligned with your wider business objectives.
- Governance and Risk: Real Estate Manager Reviews
The dynamics of the real estate industry continue to change dramatically.
Investors and lenders are increasing their focus on operational infrastructure in response to industry issues, including:
- Recent economic events
- Several high profile fraud incidents
- Increasing pressure from Regulators
- Improving cost efficiency through the supply chain
- Driving growth strategy by providing investor transparency and internal assurance.
Boards, investors, audit committees, analysts, regulators and executive management are demanding greater accountability, transparency and risk management in response to these issues.
We advise global investors to implement safeguards in order to be operationally effective, compliant with property management agreements, and prepare accurate property specific financial and non-financial data.
- Governance and Risk: Property manager and asset manager process reviews, testing the compliance of property financial and non-financial reporting, and that regulatory requirements are met.
- Supply Chain and Procurement: Procurement of property and asset managers, and design and implementation of alternative operating models.
- Performance Improvement: Design and implementation of cost reduction strategies, the development of organisational design and strategy, and improving supply chain effectiveness.
For more information, please contact the following members of our Real Estate Advisory Services team:
Head of Real Estate Advisory Services
+44 (0)20 7951 3279
Real Estate Advisory Services
+44 (0)20 7951 0651
Real Estate Advisory Services
+44 (0)20 7951 7694
- Find out more about our Advisory services
Connect with us
Stay connected with us through social media, email alerts or webcasts. Or download our EY Insights app for mobile devices.
Follow us on Twitter
Connect with us and stay up to date on our reports, studies, events and more by following @EY_RealEstate.
Infrastructure 2012: spotlight on leadership
Financial austerity and political fractures require that a new kind of leadership emerge to bring infrastructure projects to fruition.
2012 real estate nonperforming loan investor survey
Investors are optimistic that the nonperforming loan market will remain active for another 24 to 48 months. Learn more about our survey results.