Darra Singh appointed as Director of EY’s local public services team
EY has appointed Darra Singh OBE as an Executive Director within its Government and Public Sector team.
Darra Singh, currently chair of the government-appointed Communities and Victims Panel which is investigating the August riots, will join EY’s leading local public sector advisory team in January.
The former Chief Executive of Job Centre Plus and former Chief Executive of Ealing and Luton Councils was awarded an OBE in 2004 for services to local government. In his new role he will advise local government clients on how to achieve more efficient and enhanced public services.
To support the Communities and Victims panel, responsible for talking to communities affected by the riots, EY have allowed sufficient time for Darra to complete his important work until the end of March 2012. The panel will present a final report by March 2012, to the Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister and the Leader of the Official Opposition.
Björn Conway, Head of EY Government and Public Sector, said: “We are delighted to be welcoming one of the most distinguished and experienced innovators in local government. Darra’s expertise and knowledge of government and communities will enhance our understanding of the local public sector’s diverse needs and what can be achieved practically. He will bring added expertise as we continue to work with clients facing the serious challenges of driving benefits and growth through financial effectiveness, operational performance efficiencies and delivery of crucial programmes for residents on time and to budget.”
Notes to Editors
More about Darra Singh
- Before joining DWP in November 2009, Darra had been the Chief Executive Officer of Ealing Council for four years and prior to that had been the Chief Executive of Luton Council.
- He grew up in Bradford and read law at Newcastle Polytechnic (now the University of Northumbria at Newcastle-upon-Tyne).
- He started as a housing case worker in Tyneside and London in 1984, and then worked for a variety of housing bodies in the voluntary sector.
- Darra became a director of the North British Housing Association in 1991. He was later appointed Chief Executive of the Asra Greater London Housing Association, which specialises in housing ethnic minority tenants, and then worked for Hexagon, another London-based housing association.
- In 2004 Darra was awarded an OBE for services to local government.
With a fresh approach to the way we serve the Government sector, EY combines private sector best practice with an understanding of the public sector’s diverse needs, focusing upon building capability to deliver improved public services. We provide business consulting, financial assurance and advisory services to public sector clients.