Dynamic London and South entrepreneurs create 24,000 jobs and turn over £4.6 billion
24 April 2014
With a combined workforce of 24,000 and turnover of over £4.6billion, some of the most dynamic and inspiring businesses in the London and South region have been shortlisted for EY’s London and South Entrepreneur Of The Year 2014.
This year the Entrepreneur Of The Year programme for London & South received unprecedented levels of interest. A wide range of businesses from consumer technology products, restaurant chains, fashion designers and healthy snacks have been successful in making it to the London and South final which takes place on 26 June. The winners of each category will progress to the UK finals in September.
The judging panel, led by justgiving.com Chairman Jonathan McKay, will make its decision based on a number of criteria, including entrepreneurial spirit; innovation; strategic direction; financial performance; national and global impact; and the companies’ approach to social responsibility.
Julie Carlyle, Entrepreneur Of The Year Partner for London and South said: “The stories behind these year’s finalists are truly inspiring. Risk taking businesses from across the board have not only delivered remarkable results, but in some cases managed to transform the sectors they operate in. As the UK economy turns a corner, it is those energetic and innovative businesses that will pave the way to a sustainable recovery.”
Stuart Watson, UK Entrepreneur Of The Year Leader said: “I am delighted to see the calibre of this year’s finalists and wish to congratulate them all. The UK's entrepreneurs have been growing their businesses over the last few years despite the flat economy and are now looking forward to stronger growth. These dynamic fast growth businesses are vital to the UK's global competitiveness and these awards celebrate their success.”
This year’s finalists for the London and South region are:
- Accesso Technology Group is the world’s leading supplier of queuing, ticketing and point of sale solutions to major theme parks, attractions and ski resorts.
- ACHICA is an online luxury lifestyle store offering desirable brands at up to 70% off RRP.
- Aldermore is a private equity backed UK Bank providing retail and SME savings accounts, commercial and residential mortgages, and asset and invoice finance.
- Ambassador Theatre Group is the world’s number one live-theatre group, internationally recognised award-winning theatre producer and leader in theatre ticketing.
- Bibendum Wine is the UK’s most successful independent drinks companies supplying every sector of the trade.
- Bikeworks is a London based social enterprise that uses cycling as a tool to tackle social and environmental challenges in the community.
- Blippar - To ‘Blipp’: the action of instantly unlocking a real world image or product with an interactive experience via the smart device.
- Bullitt Group an international mobile phone and consumer electronics business: designs, manufactures, markets and sells consumer electronic devices in partnership with global brands.
- CFH Docmail provides environmentally friendly print and post services including Docmail hybrid mail, Velopost doorstep delivery and Dotpost online delivery.
- CitySprint is the UK’s largest privately owned same-day distribution company, operating from 37 service centres in the UK, with a fleet of over 2,500 couriers.
- Côte Restaurants is an award-winning operator of 47 premium casual dining restaurants across the UK, serving 4.5 million customers each year.
- Countrywide is the UK's largest integrated property services group, providing local expertise to help more people move than anyone else in the UK.
- CV-Library an independent UK job board and CV database, where jobseekers can register their CV and apply to over 95,000 jobs.
- The Dartington Hall Trust is a Devon-based social enterprise helping build better, stronger communities. Working in the areas of food and farming, jobs and homes and enriching lives, its commercial enterprises generate funds which are reinvested in its work.
- eCommera the global software and services company that enables brand owners and retailers to sell efficiently and profitably across multiple channels.
- Everyman Media Group the leading independent cinema group in the UK.
- Geos Group the supplier of marine gas oil MGO storage, supply, bunker trading and delivery.
- The GGR Group a supplier of restricted access lifting machinery, mini cranes and vacuum lifters for sale and hire.
- Immediate Media Company a developer of content and technology platforms that change the magazine media landscape.
- Infectious Media that deliver customised real-time advertising campaigns for leading advertisers worldwide.
- IP Group that partner with leading universities to help them commercialise their intellectual property, by investing and supporting the growth of spinouts.
- MADE.COM which sells designer furniture and home accessories online only.
- Metcalfe Food sells affordable, delicious and healthy food snacks under its two brands (itsu groceries and metclafe's skinny).
- Mimecast a leading cloud email archiving, continuity and security service, with over 9,000 customers and 2.6 million users globally.
- MVF is a world-leading customer acquisition company with 130 staff, 800 websites and operates in over 50 countries worldwide.
- Naked Wines is a customer-funded wine retailer, investing in independent winemakers from around the world – in return for exclusive wines at wholesale prices.
- notonthehighstreet.com will support over 5,000 creative small businesses selling over 177,000 unique and stylish products by the end of 2014.
- ORLEBAR BROWN is the premium lifestyle brand of choice that delivers tailored solutions for sunshine, travel, happiness and good times.
- Outsoucery is a Cloud Service Provider (CSP), delivering cloud-based IT and Communications (ICT) to businesses of all sizes.
- The Parabis Group is an innovative end-to-end legal and professional services organisation supplying a range of services to insurance, travel and related industries.
- Provide is a Community Interest Company that delivers a broad range of high quality health and social care services to a population of 1.9m people.
- RACS GROUP is an employment Umbrella Company providing outsourced payroll services on behalf of Temporary Contractors working via recruitment agencies.
- Softcat is the leading UK IT reseller, assisting corporate / public sector organisations address IT sourcing challenges, software licensing needs, developing new IT solutions and managed services.
- Somo is the world’s largest full-service mobile solutions company.
- Source is one of Europe's leading Exchange Traded Product providers, with over $16 billion in assets under management.
- Spabreaks.com is Europe's largest spa recommendation and booking service.
- TransferWise is an international money transfer platform, using peer-to-peer technology to cut the hidden fees charged by banks and brokers.
- Westcoast is a wholesale distributor of computer peripheral equipment and related services.