In this series of articles we discuss our finding and strategies and tactics for management teams to deploy in response to, or anticipation of, the shifting environment.
M&E Opportunities and threats 2018
EY’s 2017 Media and Entertainment People Strategy Survey
Confident M&E sector exercises deal discipline
Media & Entertainment: Divestment Study 2017
Accounting for digitally distributed content
Media & Entertainment 15th Capital Confidence Barometer
The Internet of Things: unlocking possibilities
The Disrupters: The Music Factory
Media & Entertainment 14th Capital Confidence Barometer
Media & Entertainment
Doing business in a digital world
In an industry synonymous with creativity and innovation, the bar for business excellence is set high. You need to embrace new technology, develop new distribution models and satisfy the demands of a voracious and outspoken consumer.
At the same time it’s important to manage costs, exceed stakeholder expectations and comply with new laws and regulations.
There’s always another challenge just around the corner.
EY’s Global Media & Entertainment Center can help. We bring together a worldwide team of 7.500 Media & Entertainment professionals with deep technical experience in providing assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services to the industry’s leaders.
Our network of professionals collaborate and share knowledge around the world, to provide consistent, high-quality service and leverage our leading market share position to provide you with actionable information, quickly and reliably.
Key issues that we help you manage in today’s media and entertainment environment include:
- Implementing new business models
The rapidly changing digital marketplace is placing new demands on systems and processes.
Many M&E companies are finding that their organization, processes and tools are not up to the task of supporting the new digital business models and are taking a top-to-bottom look at the infrastructure that supports both new and old business models.
We help our clients:
- Develop processes and organizational infrastructure with the necessary flexibility to keep pace with the speed of digital innovation
- Reevaluate and improve systems, processes and policies across both traditional and digital platforms
- Build IP management systems that encompass the entire life cycle associated with managing contracts, rights use and royalties
- Deploy a rights management system that tracks which content can be used when, where and in what formats
- Automate rights systems to increase speed to market and decrease risk of contract violations
- Focus on digital supply management to ensure that media assets can be easily found and distributed across media platforms
- Increase data capture to support new business models and drive decision-making
- Maintaining cost discipline
As business models evolve, M&E companies are rethinking their organization’s structures and processes as a way to maintain their core products and brands.
Most companies focus first on their own market position before examining which processes could be performed through outsourcing or other arrangements without impacting their core products and services.
We help our clients:
- Assess cost control initiatives to improve value for the company
- Adopt and transition to outsourcing, co-sourcing and/or shared services
- Perform scenario-based planning and forecasting to help improve cost efficiencies
- Growing in emerging markets
With developed markets now mature, M&E companies are seeking new growth opportunities. Many are finding them in emerging markets such as BRIC countries or in the Next Eleven (N11).
With a growing middle class and increased discretionary spending on media-related activities, global M&E companies spend a growing amount of executive time investigating emerging market opportunities.
However alongside the many opportunities, there are also substantial risks. Market entry risks range from local competition to inadequate corporate governance, fraud, corruption and weak intellectual property protection.
Our global team is here to help you navigate these markets so that you can pursue the opportunities while minimizing the risk.
Connect with us
Stay connected with us through social media, email alerts or webcasts. Or download our EY Insights app for mobile devices.
Digital lockers and distribution: finding the keys
Are you prepared for digital lockers and accounting?Watch a 1 minute recap of our webcast to learn more.