EY Strategic Growth Forum™ session highlight
Building a global brand
When it comes to building a global brand, there are some universally applicable strategies:
- Creating a fantastic customer experience
- Investing in the brand to sustain it
- Adapting to different cultures
- Creating a convincing product and patenting it.
To build a brand in China, companies will need to pay additional attention to:
- Digital technology because it is a double-edged sword. It helps companies interact directly with the customers, while also putting brands under a giant magnifying glass. Be prepared a potential social media crisis.
- A brand proposition is much bigger than the physical product. Brands need to respond to the growing sophistication and higher expectations of the Chinese consumer.
- Chinese are family oriented. Aligning the brand with this social value will help.
- Listen to the customers, not opinion leaders
This panel was moderated by Uschi Schreiber, Global Markets Leader, Global Government and Public Sector Leader, EY. The panelists were: Shakir Moin, Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, Greater China and Korea, Coca-Cola Beverages (Shanghai) Company Ltd.; Mario Moretti Polegato, Chairman, Geox; Herbert V. Kohler, Jr., Chairman and CEO, Kohler Co.; Michael Wu, Chairman and Managing Director, Maxim’s Group; Peter Vesterbacka, Mighty Eagle, Special Projects, Rovio Entertainment.