Creating a responsible and sustainable business
Our environmental impact
Taking voluntary affirmative action, we plan to be carbon neutral by 2020
In our quest to become carbon neutral, 100,000 saplings were planted in 2011; totally 551,000 trees have been planted since 2011. 100,000 trees to be planted each year till EY is carbon neutral. While the future growth of EY may result in enhanced carbon emission, the firm is committed to planting such number of additional trees as are required to offset enhanced carbon emission, thereby, ensuring that the firm continues to remain carbon neutral at all points of time. We also intend to plant enough trees to offset the firm’s paper consumption.
Celebrating green birthdays is another important initiative to reduce our carbon impact on the environment. Birthday of EY employees are always special and we make them even more memorable by planting five saplings on their behalf through a tie-up with Grow-trees.
Also, only e-bills are accepted for telephone and mobile for reimbursement through our online system. This saves approx. 700,000 sheets every year.
Here's what our people have to say:
Pragnesh Shukla, "It was excellent effort to create forests and leave a better world for our next generation".
Rishabh Ahuja, "The saplings were planted with great care. Just being around trees makes one feel good. I planted about 20 saplings – if all of us do our bit, we can definitely make this planet a better place to live".
B. Srinivas, "The plantation drive gave me the much desired platform to execute my deepest desire and commitment to give back to our mother earth".
Our drives are held in partnership with Non Government Organizations (NGOs) like Pan Himalayan Grassroots Development Foundation (PHGDF) and Srinivasan Services Trust of the TVS group.
The afforestation drives are educational and beneficial for our volunteers. The excursions include an opportunity to learn about local ecological subjects and ground realities of deploying eco-friendly practices and technologies in rural India. Our approach represents a starting point for governments, companies, NGOs and the citizens of Indian villages joining hands for a common cause, to address climate change concerns and in favor of environmental protection.
The plantation drives are one of the many initiatives we undertake towards the goal of achieving Carbon Neutrality. Water management, waste management, responsible recycling and numerous other consumption curbing exercises have become a part of our day-to-day lives.
At EY we believe in saving energy, water, paper and recycling. Click here to know more:
- Energy saved is energy generated.
- The not-in-use equipments are monitored and switched off after close of business hours.
- Printers are set to default double sided printing and eco-mode printing options are used.
- Water – every drop counts.
- Bio blocks have been installed in men's washrooms across all our offices in India and are expected to save twenty million litres of water every year.
- Recently installed aerators on taps saves 60% of water used in washbasins which is estimated at 4 million litres of water.
- Watershed activities initiated in the villages will help us achieve water neutral status
- Recycle, refill, reuse.
- Reverse Osmosis plants have been activated across locations to reduce consumption of plastic.
- Used printer toners are disposed in an eco-friendly manner through a tie-up with Hewlet-Packard (HP).
- Shredded paper is collected across all locations and recycled. In Bangalore, the shredded paper is given to an NGO which in turn is sold them and proceeds used to feed poor children, thereby serving a dual purpose i.e. recycling paper and helping the underprivileged.
- Dry and wet waste is segregated and converted to vermicompost in NCR region and Mumbai.
- Save paper, save trees.
- Employee communications including campaigns on internal initiatives, statutory announcements, pay slips, tax information and Form 16 are made available to our employees online.
- Shredded paper from offices in the NCR region and Bangalore is recycled.
- Only e-bills for mobile and telephone bills accepted for reimbursement – saves approx. 700,000 sheets every year.
- Only e-greetings are sent to clients and well wishes during festivals