The Entrepreneur of The Year is highly respected across the globe as an award, as a program, and, even more importantly, as a mindset. Since 1986, EY has been committed to the unique Entrepreneur Of The Year™ program, which specifically recognizes the achievements of entrepreneurs.
The program, which was launched in the US, has now spread to over 70 countries. The associated Entrepreneur Of The Year competition is the world's biggest and most prestigious business award for entrepreneurs.
The global network of 50,000 entrepreneurs continues to grow, with 5,000 nominees and 1,200 finalists added each year. In Malta, the EY Entrepreneur Of The Year success story will begin in 2017. The program will attract many of the entrepreneurs on the island which can apply for the competition every year. The jury then selects one award winner from a shortlist of finalists in the category.
You too can join the world's largest community of entrepreneurs and benefit from this unique program.
Official program partners:
How participants are assessed
Credibility is crucial to the success of any competition. The Entrepreneur Of The Year is underpinned by clear rules, binding criteria and qualified jurors who are completely independent.
- Mr. Joseph A Gasan, Chairman, Gasan Group Limited
- Mr. Anton Borg, President Malta Chamber of Commerce, Enterprise and Industry
- Ms. Bernie Mizzi, Director Chiswick House School and St. Martin’s College
- Mr. Joseph Portelli, Chairman, Malta Stock Exchange plc
- Prof. Juanito Camilleri, Professor, University of Malta
The assessment criteria:
- Entrepreneurial spirit, leadership and acting as a role model
- Financial performance and business growth
- Strategic direction of the business
- Global and sustainable impact of entrepreneurial activity
- Innovation and future prospects of products or services
What does participation involve?
There are only four steps leading up to the Entrepreneur Of The Year award. You take the first step and we do the rest. We want to ensure that the competition is as fantastic an experience for you as it has been for others.
Four simple steps to participating:
- Complete the nomination form and submit it by 20th February 2017.
Time needed: no more than 60 minutes.
- We contact you to arrange an interview.
Time needed: approx. 120 minutes.
- We submit your application and our impressions to the jury by 6th March 2017. The jury comes to a decision independently. The jury may arrange a face-to-face meeting with you mid-March 2017.
Time needed: 90 minutes.
- You attend the award ceremony on the 16th March 2017, culminating in the announcement of the winner of Entrepreneur Of The Year
Terms and conditions of entry and rules:
- The entrepreneur must be responsible for their business and play an active role in and hold a significant stake in the company
- The entrepreneur must have deserving credit for business success of the proper company or the company the candidate works for, with at least 2 years in a managerial position continuously
- Must have a significant ownership stake in the company. If it is a joint stock company, the candidate must be a co-owner or have a status which allows him/her a key influence on decision making and functioning of the board of directors.
- The business must be headquartered or have its core operations in Malta (subsidiaries of foreign entities are sometimes allowed into the competition but need to be thoroughly examined and discussed)
- The business must be established for at least 2 years on the day of the EOY program launch (or the day of the application submission)
- If the company is run by a management team, the maximum number of team members is three.
Costs and benefits
Entrepreneurs are risk-takers. They weigh up the options, invest in their vision and have an optimistic mindset. With the Entrepreneur Of The Year, it's a win-win situation for everyone.
- 60 minutes: complete the nomination form (January – February)
- 90 minutes: interview with EY (February - March)
- 90 minutes: jury meets the leading candidates (March)
- 1 night (award ceremony): award and recognition of competitors
- Significant increase in business contacts;
- Opportunity to better perceive and understand the most important issues entrepreneurs deal with;
- Participation in an exciting global program that takes place in Malta for the first time;
- Unique insight into the entrepreneurs’ way to success and key factors of development in entrepreneurship;
- Support in achieving personal goals;
- Recognition for contribution to the community, entrepreneurial sector and the national economy;
- Participation at various events that can help entrepreneurs and their companies achieve full potential;
- Evaluation of their own business and leadership skills by an independent jury composed of experienced business leaders and experts for entrepreneurship;
- Access to the alumni group of candidates who will maintain contact and share useful experiences;
- Significant media appearance, raising personal and company profile;
- A deserved recognition of their business;
- Competitive separation.
A unique event for entrepreneurs.
The 2017 award ceremony
The Entrepreneur Of The Year award ceremony is the pinnacle event that brings the competition to a close. This is the evening when the finalists and winners are honored and their entrepreneurial achievements are recognized.
EY Malta bestows the coveted Entrepreneur Of The Year award at the award ceremony in March. This award, which is recognized both nationally and internationally, showcases Malta's most innovative and successful entrepreneurs.
Up to 100 guests celebrate the achievements of capable, inspiring and exceptional Maltese entrepreneurs. The evening is also an excellent opportunity for networking.
The award ceremony will be held on the 16th March 2017.
Hall of Fame
Find out who belongs to this elite group.
- 2016 - Manny Stul, Executive Chair, Just Energy Group
- 2015 - Mohed Altrad, Altrad, France
- 2014 - Uday Kotak, Kotak Mahindra Bank, India
- 2013 - Hamdi Ulukaya, Chobani, Inc., United States
- 2012 - James Mwangi, Kenya's Equity Bank Limited, Kenya
- 2011 - Olivia Lum, Hyflux Limited, Singapore
- 2010 - Michael Spencer, ICAP plc, United Kingdom
- 2009 - Cho Tak Wong, Fuyao Glass Industry Group, China
- 2008 - Dr. Jean-Paul Clozel, Actelion Pharmaceuticals Ltd, Switzerland
- 2007 - Guy Laliberté, Cirque du Soleil, Canada
- 2006 - Bill Lynch, Imperial Holdings, South Africa
- 2005 - Wayne Huizenga, Huizenga Holdings Inc., United States
- 2004 - Tony Tan Caktiong, Jollibee Foods Corporation, Philippines
- 2003 - Narayana Murthy, Infosys Technologies Limited, India
- 2002 - Stefan Vilsmeier, BrainLAB AG, Germany
- 2001 - Paolo della Porta, Saes Getters S.p.A., Italy