EY Malaysia launches Young Tax Professional of the Year (YTPY)
- Lembaga Hasil Dalam Negeri Malaysia (LHDNM) extends support to the EY YTPY Malaysia award programme
Kuala Lumpur, 11 April 2014 – EY Malaysia is delighted to announce the launch of the second edition of its “Young Tax Professional of the Year” (YTPY) competition. The YTPY Malaysia award allows Malaysian undergraduates to compete for the opportunity to represent the country at the international YTPY competition. At the world’s stage, the country winner will vie with other country winners from more than 30 countries for the title of “Young Tax Professional of the Year”.
Yeo Eng Ping, EY Malaysia’s Tax Leader, says: “At EY, we are committed to building a better working world. Developing young talent and providing young people with opportunities is one of the ways we can help fulfil our purpose. The Young Tax Professional of the Year programme provides a platform for us to foster top tax talent and the tax leaders of the future. By bringing these students together, we want to show them how much the tax profession has changed today and how business is managed in different cultures, as well as expose them to the skills required for tomorrow’s leaders.”
“We are also pleased to announce that our EY YTPY Malaysia programme has received the support of the Lembaga Hasil Dalam Negeri Malaysia (LHDNM). This is testament to the value and importance that such a programme has for the tax profession and industry as a whole,” adds Yeo.
Madam Asriah Shaari, LHDNM’s Corporate Services Director, says, “Tax knowledge and education have become increasingly important in today’s world of business and finance, and they are in line with LHDNM’s continuous efforts to develop excellence in the tax profession. This competition is a great platform to encourage more of our young Malaysian undergraduates to explore the tax profession and industry, as well as the career opportunities available. We are pleased to collaborate with EY on this award programme.”
The Young Tax Professional of the Year (YTPY) competition
The Young Tax Professional of the Year (YTPY) competition is split into two stages: local and international.
- Stage 1 – local competition
During the initial competition in Malaysia, we will challenge the candidates’ technical abilities and their wider commercial strengths.
- Stage 2 – international final
Taking place in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, from 30 November 2014 to 4 December 2014, successful country finalists will have the chance to work closely with a diverse range of professionals. They will face challenging case studies and interviews to demonstrate their expertise before the award judges. That panel will then confirm the three winners of the Young Tax Professional of the Year Award.
More than just a trophy
In recognition of the technical skills and professionalism demonstrated in front of a panel of judges, the top three YTPY 2014 Malaysia award winners will be presented with the following:
- First prize: paid internship of no less than 8 weeks or conditional offer of employment with EY Malaysia, represent Malaysia in the international YTPY competition and RM 8,000 cash prize
- Second prize: paid internship of no less than 8 weeks or conditional offer of employment with EY Malaysia, stand-by participation in the international YTPY competition and RM 6,000 cash prize
- Third prize: paid internship of no less than 8 weeks or conditional offer of employment with EY Malaysia and RM 3,000 cash prize
At the international level, the prizes awarded will provide an opportunity for personal experience, as well as connection to and understanding of the various tax markets:
- First prize: a 30-day “round-the-world” business trip built around 10-day working visits to key EY Area Tax Centers in London, Washington DC and Hong Kong
- Second prize: a 10-day visit to one of EY’s Area Tax Centers
- Third prize: an invitation to participate in an EY international client conference, at which the winner will have the opportunity to meet our leaders and key clients
- Patrick Dibout Inclusive Leadership prize: bearing the name of a founding member of the competition, this prize is awarded to the candidate who demonstrates the most inclusive leadership behavior, as well as a particular interest in, and a high capacity to leverage, diverse perspectives and ideas. The winner is selected by a panel of peers based on the candidate’s openness to listening and learning about other cultures.
“There's nothing more important than identifying outstanding talent. The energy and ingenuity of today's youth are remarkable, and YTPY allows EY the opportunity to reward and encourage this next generation of tax professionals. We strongly encourage our Malaysian undergraduates to participate in the YTPY Malaysia award and vie for a spot in the international competition. No doubt about it; the whole experience will be exceptional!” concludes Farah Rosley, EY Malaysia Tax partner and the YTPY Malaysia programme director.
Find out more about the Young Tax Professional of the Year Malaysia Award.
EY is a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services. The insights and quality services we deliver help build trust and confidence in the capital markets and in economies the world over. We develop outstanding leaders who team to deliver on our promises to all of our stakeholders. In so doing, we play a critical role in building a better working world for our people, for our clients and for our communities.
EY refers to the global organization, and may refer to one or more, of the member firms of Ernst & Young Global Limited, each of which is a separate legal entity. Ernst & Young Global Limited, a UK company limited by guarantee, does not provide services to clients. For more information about our organization, please visit ey.com.
This news release has been issued by Ernst & Young Tax Consultants Sdn Bhd, a member of the global EY organization.