In a world of continuous business challenges, our clients are faced with a constant need to generate long-term, sustainable growth. As part of our Performance Improvement team you'll help provide independent, objective and high-value business advice to the world's most successful companies.
As a Consultant you will work in a Performance Improvement team and will have the opportunity to work on projects across the following areas:
Our Finance professionals help assess and transform the finance function to improve performance and effectiveness. They work with clients' Chief Financial Officers to align the finance strategy with the wider business and to optimise costs. They help achieve cost optimisation through shared services, off shoring or outsourcing initiatives and more effective planning, budgeting and forecasting.
Our Customer professionals help companies define, identify and manage their most valuable customers to increase operational efficiency and enhance performance. They advise clients on how to interact most effectively with their customers through marketing, sales, merchandising and customer service functions. They also advise on customer acquisition and retention strategies that help them improve and sustain their business performance.
Supply Chain and Operations
Our Supply Chain and Operations professionals help clients transform their businesses from a collection of local and regional operations, facilities and networks into a coherent, optimised global supply chain. In this role, you'll work closely with talented colleagues from Tax, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Working Capital and Financial Management. Together, you'll provide strategic and operational insights across clients' supply chains to help them improve their business's performance and cost base.
Our IT Advisory professionals work with commercial and public sector organisations. They provide independent advice on how clients’ IT operations can support their business strategy and its implementation. Working with them you’ll help to provide insights into organisational culture and help align a client’s technology with their people and processes.
People Advisory Services
Tomorrow's successful companies will have a positive and proactive approach to change. Our People Advisory Service teams work with clients to help them manage their change challenges. They also help them to develop their capabilities to more effectively manage constant change. This might involve supporting clients as they develop a clear and concise vision of the future for parts or all of their organisations. It could also include coaching the board to convey the right messages during times of change and interact with each other effectively. Other focuses could be helping clients to develop managerial capabilities, designing the structure, roles and capabilities needed to deliver on a change vision, and embedding culture and behavioural change.
Program and Portfolio Management
As a Program and Portfolio Management professional, you’ll be advising clients in the Resource and Government sectors on some of the largest and most complex Portfolio and Programs in Oceania. You’ll be part of a team that has a diverse background with broad commercial experience, deep project relevant engineering and extensive operations change management experience.
Our client engagements are diverse and challenging and include engagements such as; strategic advice to one of the world’s biggest mining companies on global delivery models for their capital investment portfolio; assessing the risk portfolio of a major Oil and Gas corporation's multi-billion dollar infrastructure investment programs off the coast of North Western Australia; and advising a State Transport Infrastructure Department to direct the right long term strategic investment to maintain, operate and grow the transport network over the next two decades.
As a professional in the Strategic Direction team, you’ll focus on the development and execution of Performance Strategy which enables clients to optimise their business strategy. Performance Strategy results in client-specific actionable initiatives and drivers that will result in demonstrable sustained performance improvement.
What would my day be like in Advisory services
Working in Risk, you’ll be offering our clients more than protection. You’ll also be helping them make better and faster decisions, reduce costs, and improve performance. It’s a fast-moving area, as global risks change at a dramatic pace, so you’ll be helping clients continuously evaluate their risk management processes and identify the risks that matter.
As a Consultant you will work in a generalist Risk team, while our Senior Consultants will be aligned to one of the following competencies:
Our risk assurance professionals provide clients with a candid and reliable overview of their risk landscape and the controls in place. Important business decisions and dispute solutions are based on the team’s assessments and certifications.
Our Internal Audit professionals help to improve the performance of clients’ internal audit functions. They help increase the return on internal audit investment by focusing on value, cost and risk. They work with clients to unlock the potential of internal audit and enhance its value to the organisation. This often includes creating and implementing a “roadmap” for the internal audit process. Our Internal Audit practice identifies control enhancements, operational and compliance process improvement and efficiency opportunities as well as company-wide cost improvements.
Our information security professionals address the challenge of managing the information security risk in the internal IT organisation and in the cyber space. They contribute to business resilience. These professionals draw on in-depth technical and IT-related risk management knowledge from our global organisation. They provide their technical knowledge to clients, often presenting to C-level executives.
Our risk transformation professionals enhance performance through creating risk enabled organisations. These professionals help clients identify important risks, design frameworks to manage them and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of risk management. They consider issues such as business performance variability and suboptimal return on investment, inefficient operating experiences, business and process controls transformation, application security integrity, governance risk management and compliance (GRC) technology enablement, business and/or IT GRC, continuous monitoring, vendor and contract risk management and IT risk management.
Financial Services Risk Management
Our team of more than 900 Financial Services Risk Management professionals offer integrated risk management and regulatory advisory services to the banking and capital markets, insurance, asset management, energy and corporate treasury sectors. These professionals work in global, multi-disciplinary risk service teams to provide broad advisory services, from strategy to implementation support. Team members include experienced risk management professionals, quantitative analysts, risk technology architects, control professionals and former regulators. Working together, they help clients better assess and improve their risk and regulatory frameworks, integrate risk management into operations, grow revenue and manage risk to increase shareholder value.
Our Actuarial professionals combine global insight and local reach to help financial services and insurance clients develop sound strategies for today’s business environment. They work closely with the clients’ actuarial functions to assess their effectiveness, for example by benchmarking them against leading practice, in order to identify opportunities for improvement. They also provide operational support. This varies from helping insurance clients with actuarial calculations to outsourcing all or part of the actuarial process. Our actuarial teams support clients in adopting new financial reporting standards and in mergers and acquisitions by assessing products and helping with structuring deals and post-merger integration.
What would my day be like in Advisory services
EYC3 is EY’s leading Asia-Pacific analytics and enterprise intelligence capability. You’ll help clients master their organisational information to allow management to make strategic or operational decisions and deliver real business value. If you have a keen interest in providing advice, EYC3 is the place for you to put your programming, process analysis, data analytics and visualisation skills to good use. You’ll enjoy the pace of going from one project to the next; using data to prove hypotheses; to using quantitative facts to assist in decision-making.
“From information systems, discrete maths to programming – it has all shaped my experience and knowledge which I can pass on to colleagues and provide to clients.”
Nick explains how he leverages his degree background as an EYC3 consultant.
“My aim is to understand what the client’s strategic business vision is and how technology, data, people and business process changes can achieve that vision.”
Camille shares her experience on her typical day.
Want to know more about what it’s like being part of our Advisory team? Then meet some of our people or learn about daily life and where your career could lead:
What would my day be like in Advisory Services?
- Research current business and economic developments relevant to the client's business
- Review and document client processes and benchmark them against leading practice
- Help more experienced members of the team construct a financial model
- Learn about regulatory requirements and how any proposed changes could impact clients
- Spend time with your counsellor to address one of your learning priorities
- Contribute ideas and opinions to the team, and listen and respond to a diverse range of views from other perspectives and disciplines
- Work with a specific industry or sector to increase your understanding of different businesses
- Work and interact with personnel from one of the largest and most diverse group of clients in the world
What would my day be like in Actuarial Services?
- Research current business and economic developments relevant to the client's business
- Advise clients on issues such as product pricing, derivative valuation, liability calculation, and rectification of unit pricing errors
- Review experience analyses and setting assumptions
- Model complex derivatives, or use sophisticated analytical tools to improve the profitability of clients
- Work closely with other EY business units, which means you could apply your business experience to broader client issues, such as mergers and acquisitions, strategic reviews and analysing customer behaviours
What would my day be like in EYC3?
As a member of the EYC3 team, you might:
- Work alongside some of information management and analytics’ most experienced professionals across a number of client industries on projects ranging from data mapping to advanced analytics.
- Connect with colleagues locally, interstate and internationally to collectively work in helping a client make better decisions to achieve their business objectives and realise their business potential.
- Learn and develop a range of skills ranging from business acumen, business and technical analysis, communication styles, project management and delivery skills.
- Be involved in the research and preparation of a response to tender.
- Shadow consultants and managers on-site, gaining a practical and in-depth understanding of how analytics and enterprise intelligence can help clients.
What kind of projects could I be working on?
Advisory projects are multifaceted and almost always multidisciplinary. Expect to work with a range of colleagues with different skill sets, as well as with colleagues from other service lines. Projects can span a few months to a year and vary enormously.
- Be part of a team helping board-level clients assess operational and strategic risks across their business
- Work with one of the world's largest oil consortiums to undertake a major organisational transformation project
- Join a team made up of program management, performance improvement, regulatory and risk, tax and business modelling professionals to help an insurance company redesign part of its business
- Identify proactive strategies to manage and develop a client's top 100 customer account portfolios
- Help one of largest publicly traded, managed healthcare companies to develop a strategy to optimise its state-of-the-art financial systems
How do I decide on my area of focus?
When you join, we'll brief you on the different areas in Advisory Services. As projects come in, we'll do our best to match you to the opportunities that meet your preferences. If you're looking to work across several areas, we can help you to do that. You'll be part of a community of experienced professionals who'll share their knowledge with you and coach you in developing your professional and personal skills.
What skills would I acquire in my first few years in Advisory Services?
- Research and analysis skills
- How to observe, document and improve business processes
- Communication and team-working skills
- Client relationship skills
- Creative problem-solving
- A deeper understanding of business operations and how to bring about change
- Risk management skills
- Report writing skills
What opportunities would Advisory Services open up?
- Pursue a particular area of interest and develop in-depth skills and knowledge
- Gain experience in different industries to determine which sector you most enjoy working in
- Work on different engagements around the world
- Enjoy excellent opportunities for career advancement by developing skills that are in demand
- Have exposure to a wide range of client issues and services