EY Tax Guide 2014

Important dates to help with your filing

  • Share


Final estimated tax payment for 2013 due if you did not pay your income tax (or enough of your income tax) for that year through withholding. Use Form 1040-ES


If you did not pay your last installment of estimated tax by January 15, file your income tax return for 2013 on this date, thereby avoiding any penalty for late payment of the last installment. Use Form 1040 or 1040A.


File a new Form W-4 if you can claim exemption from withholding.



Farmers and fishermen must file their 2013 income tax return (Form 1040) to avoid an underpayment penalty for the last quarter of 2013 if they were required to but did not pay estimated tax on January 15.


File your income tax return for 2013 (Forms 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) and pay any tax due.
  Make your 2013 IRA contribution.
  If you are not extending your return, make your Keogh or SEP-IRA contribution if you have self-employment income.
  For an automatic 6-month extension, file Form 4868 and pay any tax that you estimate will be due. Then file Form 1040 or 1040A by October 15. If you get an extension, you can't file Form 1040EZ. (You can use one Form 4868 to file for both your income tax and gift tax extensions.)
  Pay the first installment of your 2014 estimated tax if you are not paying your 2014 income tax (or enough of it) through withholding tax.
  If you made any taxable gifts during 2013 (more than $14,000 per donee), file a gift tax return for that year (Form 709 or 709-A) and pay any tax due.


Pay the second installment of 2014 estimated tax.
  If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien living and working (or on military duty) outside the United States and Puerto Rico , file Form 1040 and pay any tax, interest and penalties due. Otherwise, see April 15.


Individuals who have signature authority or other authority over certain bank, securities, or other financial accounts in a foreign country must file Form TD F 90-22.1. The form must be received on or before June 30.


Pay the third installment of your 2014 estimated tax.
  Last day to make a required minimum contribution to a defined benefit or money purchase Keogh plan.


If you requested an automatic 6-month extension to file your 2013 income tax return, file Form 1040 or Form 1040A and pay any tax, interest, and penalty due, and file any gift tax return if due.
  Last day to make a Keogh or SEP-IRA contribution deductible for calendar year 2013 if you requested a 6-month extension of time to file your tax return.


Last day to establish a Keogh plan for 2014.