For 21 years the World Entrepreneur Awards in Southern Africa have been celebrating, supporting and connecting entrepreneurs. This is more than just a business award, it’s a global programme which helps entrepreneurial businesses in more than 150 cities in over 60 countries.
The Southern Africa programme incorporates ten countries: Angola, Botswana, Namibia, Mozambique, Malawi, Mauritius, Madagascar, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Zambia.
This year’s award event will be hosted in November 2018 to announce the overall Master winner who will then go on to compete for the prestigious title of World Entrepreneur Of The Year™ in June 2019. In addition to the Master winner, awards are given to Exceptional and Emerging entrepreneurs.
The programme was launched in Africa in 1998. Globally, the programme operates in more than 150 cities in over 60 countries worldwide, honouring men and women who build and lead successful, growing and dynamic businesses.
We know what it takes to build, scale and nurture a great company. Through our Global Entrepreneur Of The Year™ programme, EY is recognised as a world leader in advising, guiding and recognising the best high-growth entrepreneurs and their companies.
The search is on for entrepreneurs with the courage, passion and purpose to make their dreams a reality and who are building something of lasting value that brings real benefits to an industry or sector and the communities in which they operate.
Our World Entrepreneur Award celebrates men and women who are building and leading successful, growing and dynamic businesses. We celebrate their success and the contribution they are making to our economies and the legacy they are building.
Recommendations can be made year-round by submitting a brief “Recommend an Entrepreneur”. Alternatively, you can submit a “Full Nomination” form during the designated nomination period.
Simply complete the Recommend an Entrepreneur form. Once you have submitted your recommendation, the nominee will be sent an email informing them they have been nominated. They will be given instructions on how to complete and submit their nomination for consideration.
Submit a nomination:
For yourself or on behalf of an entrepreneur. Register on our site and complete a nomination form.
- Tell your story well and in your own words.
- Show results with numbers, percentages and statistics.
- Compare yourself to the market and your competition and be concise.
Finalists and winners are selected from all eligible nominations, by an eminent panel of judges.
Receipt of nominations
Scrutiny of nominations
Field interviews of shortlisted nominees
Selection of winners and finalists by independent jury
What makes a winner
- Entrepreneurial spirit: Independent thinking and the ability to sense opportunities and transform them into success.
- Financial performance: The strength of the organisation’s financial track record and provisions for long-term sustainability.
- Strategic direction: The talent to serve as a mentor and lead in every sphere of business, ensuring success for the entire team.
- Community/Global Impact: Making a positive impact both economically and in the quality of life, in one's own community as well as globally.
- Innovation: Pioneering new technologies and embracing change through continuous improvement and innovation in all realms of the business.
- Personal integrity and influence: Demonstrating the highest standards of ethics and quality and creating a value system that earns respect and a culture of corporate social responsibility.
Who is eligible to enter?
Entrepreneurs eligible for consideration include:
Company Founders; leaders of multi-generation family business; transformational public and private company CEO’s who have an equity stake in the current business and; previous nominees and finalists.
The entrant should have personal financial stake in the business, either directly or via share options and have built or helped build a business and have been primarily responsible for the company’s success and has been in post for a minimum of three years as at 1 January 2018.
Our illustrious judges bring their passion and energy to the process of deciding the award winners in the following categories: Master - Turnover US$100m; Exceptional - Turnover US$15m and; Emerging - Turnover US$5.
What do the judges look for?
2017 Master Category Winner and Finalists
Andries van Heerden
Petrocam Trading (Pty) Ltd
2017 Exceptional Category Winner and Finalists
Reatile Group (Pty) Ltd
David Ryan and
Rhino Africa Safaris (Pty) Ltd
2017 Emerging Category Winner and Finalists
The Training Room Online (Pty) Ltd
Jerome Kourie and
Andiccio24 Group of Companies
Softline Ltd (SAGE)
African Rainbow Minerals
The Bidvest Group
Pamodzi Investment Holdings
Zest Electric Group
Union-Swiss (Bio Oil)
Spatial Data Holdings
Fry Group Foods
Fry Group Foods
Bio Sculpture SA
Travel with Flair
One Africa Media
New GX Capital
27four Investment Managers
Grand Parade Investments LTd
The Creative Counsel
The Creative Counsel
Life time achiever
Pick n Pay
Pam Golding Properties
Frans Indongo Group
Chairman & CEO Richemont
Former Chairman & CEO Kerzner Leisure
Telkom SA Limited
Discover CEO & Founder
Streetwires Artist Collective cc
The Wilderness Foundation
EY World Entrepreneur Of The Year previous winners from Africa
CEO and Managing Director of Kenya's Equity Bank Limited
EY Entrepreneur Of The Year 2011 Kenya,
World Entrepreneur Of The Year 2012
CEO of Imperial Holdings
EY Entrepreneur Of The Year 2005 South Africa,
World Entrepreneur Of The Year 2006
You're in great company!
Benefits of the programme
A lifetime network of the world’s most influential and innovative high-growth entrepreneurs
- Connections: Access to the best business minds in the world.
- Kinship: A community of peers with shared experiences and common, entrepreneurial perspectives.
- Knowledge: The most relevant content and information, from EY professionals and other organisations focused on high-growth entrepreneurial companies.
- Influence: Opportunities to impact public policy and tackle complex problems as part of the most prestigious organization of entrepreneurs in the world.
- Recognition: Highlighting the contributions you make locally, globally and nationally.
- Opportunity: Participate as a regional or national Entrepreneur Of The Year judge, attend and/or speak at events such as the Strategic Growth Forum, regional galas and Alumni experiences, and nominate your peers for the programme.