EY Entrepreneur Of The Year™ 2016:
- Finalists for the 2016 “Entrepreneur Of The Year” award announced
- 15 out of 49 nominees identified as potential winners
- Winners to be announced at major gala event on 28 October 2016 in Lausanne – the first time this event is being held in French-speaking Switzerland
Zurich, 26 September 2016 – EY’s “Entrepreneur Of The Year” award offers entrepreneurs from around the world a unique platform. In Switzerland, the competition was first held in 1998. Since then, hundreds of entrepreneurs have competed for the national award. In 2016, 59 people from a total of 49 firms across the country are being put to the test. The prize is awarded in four categories. The independent jury has whittled the entrants down to the following 15 finalists, who will be competing for the 2016 title:
Industry/High-Tech/Life Sciences category:
- Dr. Kamila Markram, Frontiers Media SA, Lausanne, Publishing,
- Willi Miesch, Medartis AG, Basel, Medical Technology,
- Marc Ehrlich, VIPA Lausanne SA, Lausanne, Recycling,
Family Business category:
- Beat Burlet, Bucher Leichtbau AG, Fällanden, Lightweight Construction,
- Dr. Thomas Meier-Bickel, Hans Oetiker Holding AG, Horgen, Connector Technology,
- Hans-Rudolf Schurter, Schurter Holding AG, Lucerne, Electrical and Electronic Components, 1,544 employees
- Olivier Brourhant, AMARIS GROUP SA, Vernier, Management Consultancy,
- Roland Brack, BRACK.CH AG, Mägenwil, Online Wholesale and Retail Trading,
- Stefan Honegger, Honegger Management AG, Köniz, Facility Management,
- Raymond Knigge, Interiman Group Services SA, Lausanne, Recruitment,
- Dr. Jakob Limacher, Thomas Suter, Christian Zindel, Kalaidos Bildungsgruppe AG, Zurich, Education, > 3,000 employees
Emerging Entrepreneur category:
- Dr. Hannes Eugster, Christian Meier, iNovitas AG, Baden-Dättwil, Data Services,
- Dr. Tej Tadi, MindMaze SA, Lausanne, Medical Technology/Neurotechnology,
- Raphael Oberholzer, NEEO AG, Solothurn, Communications Technology,
- Dr. Francesco Dell’Endice, QualySense AG, Glattbrugg, Robotics/Sensor Technology,
Numbers of employees are as of 2015.
All the candidates who have qualified for the final have done so by demonstrating their achievements as entrepreneurs and their commitment to their businesses and to the world around them. That makes them potential award winners. The jury will spend the weeks ahead reaching a consensus on who should be admitted to the select group of Entrepreneurs Of The Year for 2016.
A gala will be held on 28 October 2016 in Lausanne to present the prizes to the winners. French-speaking Switzerland has been producing outstanding candidates ever since EY started running its competition and many of them have gone on to win the award. Holding the gala to honor the Swiss entrepreneurs in the French-speaking part of Switzerland is a way of expressing appreciation to the region for being a place where successful entrepreneurship can thrive.
EY relies on a qualified, independent jury for the evaluation of the finalists and the awarding of the title of Entrepreneur Of The Year. The jury for the 2016 award is made up of Bernhard Alpstaeg (swisspor Management AG, Patron and Entrepreneur Of The Year 2007), Brigitte Breisacher (Alpnach Norm-Schrankelemente AG, Owner and Company Director of the Alpnach Norm Group), Claude R. Cornaz (Vetropack Holding AG, CEO and Entrepreneur Of The Year 2012), Dr. Beat Curti (Entrepreneur), Dr. Paul J. Hälg (Dätwyler Holding AG, CEO), Edouard Pfister (Sonceboz SA, Chairman of the Board of Directors), Sébastien Tondeur (MCI Group Holding SA, CEO and Entrepreneur Of The Year 2011) and Prof. Dr. Thomas Zellweger (University of St. Gallen, Director of the Center for Family Business).
Through its unique Entrepreneur Of The Year program, which it has been running since 1986, EY expresses its commitment to entrepreneurs. The program, launched in the US, has now spread to over 70 countries. The competition itself is held in 150 cities. That makes EY the only organization with a competition for entrepreneurs with global reach. In total, over 10,000 entrepreneurs compete annually for the coveted title of EY Entrepreneur Of The Year™. In early summer of the following year, an independent jury selects the EY World Entrepreneur Of The Year™ from among all national winners. In 2016, Switzerland was represented by Dr. Jan Lichtenberg of InSphero AG. The year before that, he won the award in the “Emerging Entrepreneur” category and met with all-round approval in Monte Carlo, too. The 2016 Swiss competition is the 19th to be held in Switzerland. The program is supported by Credit Suisse, AMAG, SWISS, and watchmaker H. Moser & Cie.
- Download News Release(49 KB)
About the global EY organization
The global EY organization is a leader in assurance, tax, transaction, legal and advisory services. We leverage our experience, knowledge and services to help build trust and confidence in the financial markets and in economies all over the world. We are ideally equipped for this task – with well trained employees, strong teams, excellent services and outstanding client relations. Our global mission is to drive progress and make a difference by building a better working world – for our people, for our clients and for our communities.
The global EY organization refers to all member firms of Ernst & Young Global Limited (EYG). Each EYG member firm is a separate legal entity and has no liability for another such entity’s acts or omissions. Ernst & Young Global Limited, a UK company limited by guarantee, does not provide services to clients. For more information, please visit www.ey.com.
EY’s organization is represented in Switzerland by Ernst & Young Ltd, Basel, with ten offices across Switzerland, and in Liechtenstein by Ernst & Young AG, Vaduz. In this publication, «EY» and «we» refer to Ernst & Young Ltd, Basel, a member firm of Ernst & Young Global Limited.