Companies across the globe highly vulnerable to cyber-attacks
November 12, 2018
Companies across the globe highly vulnerable to cyber-attacks: EY’s latest survey
- Cybersecurity is one of the top three risks across all industries and government entities in MENA
- 87% of organizations surveyed operate with limited cybersecurity and resilience
- 82% of organizations unclear about whether they are successfully identifying breaches and incidents
A year after organizations were rocked by a series of large-scale cybersecurity breaches and ongoing recriminations over state-sponsored interventions, this year’s EY Global Information Security Survey 2018-19 (GISS) shows cybersecurity continuing to rise up the board agenda.
The survey of more than 1,400 C-level cybersecurity and risk leaders, examines some of the most urgent concerns about cybersecurity and their efforts to manage them. Some of the key findings from the survey are as follows:
- 87% of organizations operate with a limited budget to provide for the level of cybersecurity and resilience they require
- 55% of organizations don’t make the protection of the organization an integral part of their overall business strategy and execution plans
- A majority of organizations (77%) are now seeking to use advanced technologies like artificial intelligence, robotic process automation and analytics
- Cloud computing (52%), cybersecurity analytics (38%) and mobile computing (33%) are the highest priorities for cybersecurity investment
- The riskiest vulnerabilities are careless/unaware employees (34%), outdated security controls (26%), unauthorized access (13%) and related to cloud-computing use (10%)
- Many organizations (82%) are unclear about whether they are successfully identifying breaches and incidents
Clinton Firth, MENA Cybersecurity Leader, EY, says:
“Cybersecurity continues to be one of the top three risks across all industries and government entities in the MENA region. Digital transformation is resulting in more opportunities to exploit while advanced exploitation tools and capabilities are becoming more readily accessible. In general, organizations in MENA are not at a commiserate level of cybersecurity readiness and unfortunately this creates the perfect environment for cyber-attacks in the region.”
As organizations in MENA become increasingly reliant on technology, they are more vulnerable to cyber-attacks and digital risk. Businesses need to shift towards a 24/7 monitoring to protect their digital presence from attack regardless of industry.
At the end of 2017, EY opened their multimillion-dollar cybersecurity center in the GCC, the Digital Security Operations Centre (DSOC), to offer protection against cyber-attacks for businesses located across MENA.
The DSOC provides comprehensive 24-hour digital security monitoring of client IT systems, Operational Technology (OT), and Internet of Things (IoT) for the countries of the GCC and greater MENA region, with a focus on threat "hunting" and detection.
For more information and to download the report, visit ey.com/giss.
EY | Assurance | Tax | Transactions | Advisory
EY is a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services. The insights and quality services we deliver help build trust and confidence in the capital markets and in economies the world over. We develop outstanding leaders who team to deliver on our promises to all of our stakeholders. In so doing, we play a critical role in building a better working world for our people, for our clients and for our communities.
EY refers to the global organization, and may refer to one or more, of the member firms of Ernst & Young Global Limited, each of which is a separate legal entity. Ernst & Young Global Limited, a UK company limited by guarantee, does not provide services to clients. For more information about our organization, please visit ey.com.
The MENA practice of EY has been operating in the region since 1923. For more than 90 years, we have grown to more than 6,000 people united across 20 offices and 15 countries, sharing the same values and an unwavering commitment to quality. As an organization, we continue to develop outstanding leaders who deliver exceptional services to our clients and who contribute to our communities. We are proud of our accomplishments over the years, reaffirming our position as the largest and most established professional services organization in the region.
© 2018 EYGM Limited.
All Rights Reserved.
This material has been prepared for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be relied upon as accounting, tax, or other professional advice. Please refer to your advisors for specific advice.