Press release

4 Mar. 2021 Toronto, CA

BC mineral and coal exploration spend up 28% in 2020 despite turbulent year

Gold exploration led the way, reaching $224m

Press contact
Victoria McQueen

EY Canada Team Lead, Public Relations

Leading the development and distribution of external communications across Canada. Can be found by the lake in the summer and on the slopes in the winter.

Related topics Mining and metals

Gold exploration led the way, reaching $224m

  • Exploration spend across the province reached $422m in 2020
  • Grassroots and early-stage exploration accounted for 35% of total exploration
  • The Northwest Region contributed 53% of total expenditure for the province

The latest annual British Columbia Mineral and Coal Exploration Survey finds that exploration spend across the province increased by 28% year-over-year to $422m — just short of the highs experienced in 2011 and 2013.

"Though the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic initially caused numerous delays, projects were able to capitalize on favorable commodity prices and available venture capital, attracting additional investment and strengthening budgets in the latter half 2020," says Iain Thompson, EY Canada Mining & Metals Consulting Leader. “These factors helped to support an increase in exploration in BC and kept Canada third in global rankings.”

Shift back to gold as base metals remain steady

Gold saw a 76% increase in exploration expenditure across BC — up from $127m in 2019 to $224m in 2020 — as investors flocked to the precious metal as a safe haven investment. While the Northwest Region continues to dominate the province, the North Central and South Central Regions saw growth in gold exploration of 113% and 62%, respectively.

Despite base metal prices increasing in the latter half of 2020, the survey finds expenditure was down 18% from $143m in 2019 to $121m in 2020 due to a decrease in spend by a few large nickel and lead/zinc projects.

A noticeable movement towards late-stage exploration

Grassroots and early-stage exploration fell by 5% annually to account for 35% of total exploration in 2020. Similarly, the total number of projects decreased by 5% in 2020. However, total meters drilled increased by 40%, suggesting a shift towards later-stage exploration as a result of pandemic restrictions impacting grassroots and early-stage investment.

Northwest Region continues to dominate

Except for the Southwest Region, expenditures were up across all regions in the province. The Northwest Region continued to lead the way, with exploration expenditure up by 25% in 2020 — total of $225m — contributing to over 50% of the province’s total spend.

“A healthy exploration industry is foundational to future investment, the creation of new jobs and community development,” says Kendra Johnston, President and CEO, the Association for Mineral Exploration. “As global economies begin to reopen and adjust to new landscapes dominated by low carbon initiatives, demand and prices for base metals will likely continue to increase, resulting in strong positive growth throughout BC.”

The British Columbia Mineral and Coal Exploration Survey is a joint initiative between EY, the Government of British Columbia’s Ministry of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation (EMLI) and the Association for Mineral Exploration (AME), which includes insight collected from 273 exploration projects across the province.

– 30 –

About EY

EY exists to build a better working world, helping create long-term value for clients, people and society and build trust in the capital markets. Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150 countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow, transform and operate. Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax and transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for the complex issues facing our world today.

EY refers to the global organization, and may refer to one or more, of the member firms of Ernst & Young Global Limited, each of which is a separate legal entity. Ernst & Young Global Limited, a UK company limited by guarantee, does not provide services to clients. Information about how EY collects and uses personal data and a description of the rights individuals have under data protection legislation are available via EY member firms do not practice law where prohibited by local laws. For more information about our organization, please visit  Follow us on Twitter @EYCanada.

This news release has been issued by Ernst & Young LLP.

This news release has been issued by Ernst & Young LLP.