Prountzos & Prountzos LLC – EY Law and the Research and Innovation Foundation (“RIF”), signed on Friday 11th September 2020, the Project Contract for the implementation of the proposal submitted by a consortium of ten partners including governmental, public, and private entities that will collaborate for the creation of a pioneering digital platform that will offer smart solutions in tackling hurdles faced by the hotel and tourism industry in Cyprus.
The proposal was submitted under the RESTART 2016 - 2020 Programme and was approved for funding. The Project will be co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund and the Republic of Cyprus through the RIF. For the development of the project the consortium will receive funding of over €800,000 and it is expected to be completed by the end of July 2023, with the workings on the industry-based research and development of the platform already in progress.
The platform will provide, among others:
- Smart advice to hotel staff in Cyprus, including assistance and solutions to foreign staff in undertaking all required actions for their easy settlement in Cyprus, such as securing accommodation and getting registered governmental authorities, such as the Department of Immigration.
- Assistance on matters such as recruitment, staff training, people advisory, and employment law.
- Hoteliers will have the opportunity to effectively promote and advertise their needs whilst individuals will have the opportunity to develop their skills and knowledge through specially designed educational seminars.
The project has the support of the Deputy Ministry of Tourism of Cyprus and the consortium includes public, governmental, and private entities that have unparalleled experience and knowledge on the needs of the tourism and hotel sector in Cyprus. The consortium also features highly recognised academic institutions that will support the project with their know-how in conducting the academic research in Cyprus and abroad.
Specifically, the consortium that submitted the proposal to the RIF, includes:
Host Organisation: Prountzos & Prountzos LLC – EY Law
Governmental body: Deputy Ministry of Tourism
Associations: Cyprus Hoteliers Association
- Digital Tree Media Ltd - Group of companies
- Ernst & Young Cyprus Ltd (EY Cyprus – Strategy and Transactions Services and People Advisory Services)
Universities and Research Centres:
- University of Nicosia Research Institute
- Open University of Cyprus
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Charalambos Prountzos, EY Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe & Central Asia (CESA) Law Leader and Managing Partner at Prountzos & Prountzos LLC – EY Law, has been the inspirator behind the idea for the creation of this digital platform and his inspiration and efforts in establishing the consortium have been instrumental in leading the proposal to funding. Mikaela Kantor, senior lawyer in the Banking & Finance Department at Prountzos & Prountzos LLC – EY Law, has been appointed as the Project Coordinator for the implementation of the proposal.