Indirect taxes and global trade
In recent years, issues related to managing indirect taxes — such as VAT, GST, customs and excise duties — have risen on the corporate agenda.
What EY can do for you
Knowing the indirect tax rules for your business operations and applying them correctly are key to avoid assessments, penalties and goods blocked on airports, harbors, roads, etc. Taxpayers and tax administrators do not always agree about the rules. Complex local legislation, evolving business models and widely different compliance obligations in different jurisdictions add to the risk of disagreements.
We can advise you on the steps to take to strategically meet your tax obligations and resolve tax controversy. We foster an open dialogue with customs authorities, government officials, business partners and other stakeholders about customs and international trade issues, the impact of policy decisions and the importance of free trade.
EY Trade Analytics
TradeWatch Issue 1 2021 is out now
The latest issue of our regular TradeWatch (pdf) publication outlines key legislative and administrative developments for customs and trade around the world, with links to EY resources, interactive graphics and maps. It features sections on Technology and Tax Alerts as well as Insights from the following jurisdictions:
- EU and China: The Comprehensive Agreement on Investment
- Exclusive distribution rights: Court decisions illustrate the need for careful planning
- Global Trade Managed Services
- How COVID-19 impacted supply chains and what comes next
- Indirect Tax in Motion: How a structured approach can help businesses control trade activities
- Our global trade webcasts
- Colombia: Green light for AEO authorizations
- Colombia: Recent changes regarding imports and exports
- United States: Technical corrections to the USMCA Implementation Act - impact on free trade zones
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership - the transformative potential
- Japan: Annual report on post-entry audits
- Malaysia: Enhancements to the Authorized Economic Operator program
- Vietnam: Free trade agreements – opportunities and recommendations
Europe, Middle East, India and Africa
- Africa: How free trade can accelerate Africa’s COVID-19 recovery
- Brexit: Update on EU-UK trade relations
- Brexit: The impact on EU businesses
- Brexit: What rules of origin mean for UK-EU trade
- EY Brexit hypercare
- EY Brexit App
- EU: Proposals for carbon border adjustment mechanism
- EU: Is VAT deduction on imported goods dependent on ownership?
- Norway: VAT and customs issues with supply and install contracts
- Saudi Arabia: Post-clearance audits
In today's global economy, moving goods internationally can be a complex and costly activity. TradeWatch (pdf) provides timely information about customs and international trade developments to help our clients develop strategies to manage duty costs and the risks of global trade, to improve trade compliance and to increase the operational effectiveness of international supply chains.
Our latest thinking
Like what you’ve seen? Get in touch to learn more.