The Climate Action Plan 2019 is Ireland’s all of Government Plan to tackle climate break down and achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
The full report contains almost 200 actions to ensure Ireland meets its targets.
We’ve summarised the key ones:
- 70% of all electricity generated to be from renewable sources
- 950,000 electric vehicles on the road
- 500,000 existing homes to be upgraded to B2 Building Energy rating (BER)
- All plastic packaging should be reusable or recyclable
- 50% reduction in food waste
- Specific single-use plastic convenience items banned including polystyrene food and drinks 1,200 low-emissions buses in cities for public transport
- Homeowners to generate their own electricity and sell back to the grid under scheme for micro-generation
- 600,000 heat pumps installed (400,000 in existing buildings)
- Carbon proofing all Government decisions and major investments
- CO2 emissions from the public sector to be reduced by 30%
- 8,000 ha of newly planted forest per year
Climate change isn’t something that’s coming down the track – it’s already happening.
Everyone has a role to play in fix fixing the damage already done and creating a sustainable future.
How will your business respond to the Climate Action Plan 2019? To begin the conversation, contact our Climate Change and Sustainability Services team now.