Programme information and key dates
Entrepreneurs shape our lives. They stimulate innovation, create jobs, without limitations. They build nations by fueling economic growth and prosperity.
- The business must be based, or have its chief operations, in the UK, and have been incorporated for two years as of 1 January 2020.
- The business leader is responsible for the company's success and has been in post a minimum of two years as of 1 January 2020.
- The business leader has a significant personal financial stake in the business, either directly or via share options.
September 2020 | UK finalists announced
Find out who will progress to the national final representing their region.
October 2020 | UK finalists will have the opportunity to participate in virtual interviews with the UK judging panel.
December 2020 | UK Virtual Awards ceremony
June 2021 | EY World Entrepreneur Of The Year™
- Strong leadership skills and an unflinching desire and determination to be successful.
- Perseverance in the face of adversity and the ability to overcome obstacles.
- Has learned from difficult experiences and disappointments.
- Understands the value of teamwork, but also has the capacity to be an independent thinker.
- Pioneers a new approach or business model in product, culture or processes.
- Uses continuous improvement to anticipate and embrace change in a competitive environment.
- Creates a culture of innovation within their organisation.
National and global impact
- Can measure national and global impact with either revenue, operational, or influential presence in international markets.
- Creates jobs and improves living economics in these markets.
- If doing business overseas, has a strategy and the potential to expand abroad.
Personal integrity and purpose-driven leadership
- Has earned great respect and a highly-regarded reputation from their key stakeholders (staff, competitors, customers, advisers, family, and the wider community) for living their values.
- Is committed to the organisation's purpose and the highest ethical and quality standards.
- Cultivates an inclusive, flexible workplace.
- Maintains a strong sense of personal purpose, inspires positive social and environmental change, and has made a strong philanthropic contribution to their community.
- Creates and turns business visions into business realities.
- Builds and rebuilds their team's commitment to common goals.
- Demonstrates the ability to produce new and innovative products that differentiate themselves from their competitors.
- Demonstrates operational excellence to optimise their organisation’s structures and processes.
- Demonstrates entrepreneurial maturity by building strategic alliances and surrounding themselves with talented people in order to share knowledge and empower others.
- Creates value for stakeholders through the effective development and deployment of the organisation's strategic capabilities in-line with its stated purpose.
- Their value is reflected in the strength of the organisation's financial performance, development of human capital and sustainability.