Americas Exempt Organization Tax Services
Our Americas Exempt Organization Tax Services team can help deliver a strategy to help you maintain and support your tax-exempt status.
What EY can do for you
Exempt organizations face a regulatory environment unlike any other. Operating effectively while undergoing intense scrutiny from every angle — the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), state regulators, boards and the public — is no easy feat.
Still, your organization must be comprehensive in analyzing the issues, complying with copious regulations and keeping track of developments in Washington — all while delivering world-class services to customers, communities and other stakeholders. In this environment, a proactive tax strategy is crucial to maintaining and supporting your tax-exempt status while fulfilling your mission.
Our trained professionals are strategic advisors for hundreds of nonprofit organizations across the country. Our specialists work with private foundations, higher education institutions, hospitals and academic medical centers, public charities, trade associations and governmental entities. We are the only truly integrated national practice focused on exempt organizations. That gives us — and you — distinct advantages:
- A large pool of dedicated resources located in every large market in the country
- One holistic tax approach, aligned with your mission and goals
- Access to insights and perspectives from around the globe on every aspect of your business
- Innovative technology tools to help your organization work better
Through our services, we can help you transform your tax department from a cost center into an enterprise strategic function.
Interacting with the IRS
Many of our exempt organizations professionals have worked within the IRS, including the IRS Exempt Organizations Division. This means they understand the IRS culture and know what it takes to get things done.
Proactively adding value
We team with our other tax groups to help you streamline your organization, save money, retain talent and expand your national and global presence. We use the power of our entire Tax practice to help you:
- Assess tax and reputational risks
- Implement new regulatory requirements
- Document tax positions
- Manage the tax implications of transactions (e.g., joint ventures, M&A)
- Implement large-scale mandates such as the Affordable Care Act
Form 990 services
As tax rules and organizational structures become more complex, we’ll help you meet the filing requirements of federal, state and local governments easier and faster with our technology tools:
- EY990online, our online tax compliance platform, helps you gather information concurrently from a variety of sources and departments.
- Our conflicts of interest tool allows you to gather information electronically from executives, board members and other interested parties across entities and roles and to maintain documentation regarding responses and conclusions about disclosures.
- Form 990-T services allow us to interact electronically to gather and analyze data and prepare Forms 990-T and other required disclosures.
EY990online: easing the preparation of Form 990
In our commitment to making the exempt organization compliance process as user-friendly, efficient and flexible as possible, we introduced EY990online. This application was designed to streamline the process of gathering the necessary information to prepare Form 990 and related returns.
EY990online’s features allow it to be compatible with and complement your tax compliance processes. Some of our user-friendly features include:
- Web-based. EY990online is web-based and can be securely accessed from any computer with a current browser, rather than using a stored file on a single computer. Not only is it convenient, it’s secure.
- Multiple users at a time. The Form 990 requires information from a variety of sources and departments, including tax, accounting, payroll, human resources and legal/general counsel. EY990online is designed for concurrent review and completion, allowing the information to be gathered more efficiently.
- File sharing. EY990online allows documents — such as financial statements, compensation support and partnership K-1s — to be shared securely rather than exchanged via email. EY990online file sharing is also efficient, helping ensure that the most up-to-date information is always available to clients and EY engagement teams.
- User roles. EY990online supports user roles that allow or restrict individual access to different areas of the return. For example, information on executive compensation can be restricted to certain individuals.
- Centralized dashboard. EY990online includes a centralized dashboard that allows clients and EY engagement teams to track the progress of the returns, from the beginning of the data-gathering process, through the review and e-filing of the completed returns.
Our latest thinking
Like what you’ve seen? Get in touch to learn more.