Visit our new website to find insights, case studies and more.
Visit our new website to find insights, case studies and more.
Visit our new website to find insights, case studies and more.
The better the question. The better the answer. The better the world works. У вас есть вопрос? У нас есть ответ. Решая сложные задачи бизнеса, мы улучшаем мир. У вас є запитання? У нас є відповідь. Вирішуючи складні завдання бізнесу, ми змінюємо світ на краще. Meilleure la question, meilleure la réponse. Pour un monde meilleur. 問題越好。答案越好。商業世界越美好。 问题越好。答案越好。商业世界越美好。

Why might empowering women be the key to strengthening communities?

Empowering women entrepreneurs in India

With help from the EY Foundation in India, programs supporting women entrepreneurs are proving highly successful at raising living standards.

Empowering women worldwide and investing in their futures is essential to community vitality. That’s because women tend to invest a higher proportion of their earnings in their families and communities.

Today, each member of our Self Help Groups [SHG] is confident to face any critical situation because of our strength and unity. By linking our SHGs with banks for education and agriculture loans, we are making sure that even poor women can avail themselves of loan facilities for their betterment.

Latha Devi, President, Kanakpura Federation

It’s why supporting women entrepreneurs is at the heart of a holistic approach to village development in India, supported by annual investment of INR85m from the EY Foundation.

Working across nearly 2,000 villages in nine states, and touching the lives of close to 130,000 families, the EY Foundation in India works in tandem with select NGOs to encourage women to organize into Self Help Groups, helping to create bank linkages and to facilitate inter-lending that can promote entrepreneurial activity and strengthen community health and resilience.

As a result, around 30% of impacted families are expected to be lifted above the poverty line over the next three to five years, with the remaining 70% increasing their incomes still further.