Digital Grid Services
At EY, we know that your utility’s digital grid transformation is about more than simply adding new technology, which is why we have collaborated with Microsoft to develop Digital Grid Services. True digitally powered change can deliver better business outcomes, in a cost-effective and low-risk manner, now and into the future.
Utilities are on a countdown to a radical new future. The digitization of our electricity, gas and water networks — driven largely by the proliferation of smart meters, network sensors and grid-edge devices — is accelerating change more rapidly than most expected.
Companies must adapt quickly for the future
Most face three major challenges in successfully delivering digital grid transformation programs:
- Delivering on time and budget due to the complexity and size of these programs and the challenges of deploying millions of devices throughout the network.
- Developing and integrating digital capabilities into existing operations with many utilities struggling to gain the right skills and processes to manage the digital grid and then ensure these align to business priorities.
- Deriving insight from the data generated by the digital grid and Internet of Things (IoT) devices. Many utilities struggle to manage data and convert it into insights that add value across the business.
Success will be achieved by utilities that unlock the powerful value of IoT analytics and successfully navigate their transformation to digital grid.
At EY, we’ve led more than 50 of the world’s biggest digital grid programs
DGS: A business-led approach to the digital grid
At EY, we’ve led more than 50 of the world’s biggest digital grid programs. Now we’ve teamed up with Microsoft to combine our business insights and methods into one easy-to-access solution hosted on the Azure platform: Digital Grid Services (DGS).
DGS is an industry-first initiative that gives utilities a simple way to manage their ecosystem of smart meters and IoT devices, and maximize the data analytics they produce. It also includes the rollout know-how and operational services to support the solution.
DGS is built on three pillars
These three pillars allow us to provide a flexible, end-to-end suite of managed services to address your digital grid needs. Take one pillar of DGS or all three — whatever your issue or budget, we can tailor the solution to fit your requirements.
- DGS platform: An online portal powered by Microsoft Azure technology that helps utilities to manage their IoT ecosystem with intuitive dashboards and operational workflows
- Rollout services: Our experienced teams provide the professional and technical services required to seamlessly integrate our solution with your existing operations
- Insight and operations: Our industry professionals work within your IoT ecosystem, harness analytics to uncover business insights from its data — or even operating the devices and business processes on your behalf
DGS online dashboard
When two of the world’s leading organizations join forces, the results are powerful. DGS is underpinned by Azure’s industry-leading cloud technology.
Why should you choose DGS?
Access insights and experience from 50+ digital grid projects
EY has rolled out more digital grid projects in more markets than any other organization. And we’ve packaged all of that knowledge and insight into a series of stackable services that enable your company to benefit from global leading practices.
Build value from your analytics
The data generated by your smart meters and IoT devices has the potential to be your most valuable asset. Are you making the most of it? We’ll turn information into insights, helping reduce costs, improve customer relationships and develop new sources of revenue.
Transform fast with minimum disruption
DGS is ready when you are. The “out-of-the-box” program can be plugged in and scaled up and down quickly, so you can avoid business downtime and reap rewards more quickly.
Technology that works with yours
DGS takes a device-agnostic approach to the digital grid, allowing it to operate across different brands, devices and communication technologies to drive optimal performance across technologies.
Trusted collaboration with Microsoft
When two of the world’s leading organizations join forces, the results are powerful. DGS is underpinned by Azure’s industry-leading cloud technology, featuring Azure IoT Hub, Azure Data Factory, Azure Machine Learning, Cortana Analytics and other tools designed specifically to improve performance of your digital grid devices.