EY Entrepreneur Of The Year™ 2019 Malta nominations now open!
Now in its third year, EY Entrepreneur of the Year Malta was launched in 2017 with two objectives:
- To promote entrepreneurship across the Maltese Islands
- To empower entrepreneurs to grow their businesses both locally and around the world
The award is judged by an independent panel made up of key figures from the business community.
Ambitious young entrepreneurs can apply too. The EY Rising Star Award will be presented to a contender running a high-growth business that is generating excitement in the market.
The local winners from both categories will be flown to Monaco in June 2019 to compete for the grand prize, the EY World Entrepreneur of the Year Award, an event that brings together national winners from more than 60 countries, selected from a pool of over 5,000 nominees.
The Entrepreneur Of The Year Award was launched in the US in 1986 and has now spread to 165 cities in over 60 countries. It is the world's biggest and most prestigious business award for entrepreneurs and the only one with a truly global dimension.
Entrepreneur of the Year alumni include some of the most influential, innovative and exclusive entrepreneurs in the world; Guy Laliberté, the founder of Cirque de Soleil, Amazon founders Jeff Bezos and Reid Hoffman, Formula One’s Eddie Jordan, Google’s Sergey Brin and Larry Page and Howard Schultz of Starbucks to name a few.
Highlights from last year’s awards
Highlights from the 2018 World Entrepreneur of the Year Award event
Highlights from the 2018 Malta Entrepreneur of the Year Award event
- Entrepreneurial spirit, leadership and acting as a role model
- Financial performance and business growth
- Strategic direction of the business
- Global and sustainable impact of entrepreneurial activity
- Innovation and future prospects of products or services
Four simple steps to participating
- Complete the nomination form and submit it by 15th February 2019. Time needed: 30 minutes
- Entrepreneurs are selected for interview where they have the chance to tell their compelling story. The notes from this interview are added to the nomination form and the financial documents to make up the judges’ pack. Time needed: 45 minutes
- Entrepreneurs deliver a presentation to the independent panel in early March where they tell their story and focus on what is special about them and their business. Time needed: 45 minutes
- You attend the award ceremony on the 21st March 2019, culminating in the announcement of the winner of EY Entrepreneur of The Year Award, and the EY Rising Star Award
Terms and conditions of entry and rules
- The entrepreneur should be the owner or hold a stake in the company and is responsible for the business growth over the past few years
- The entrepreneur is an active member of the company management for at least two consecutive years (e.g. Executive Board, Management Board or Supervisory Board) and have a key influence on decision making
- The entrepreneur must have deserving credit for business success of the proper company or the company the candidate works for, with at least 2 years in a managerial position continuously
- The business must be headquartered or have its core operations in Malta (subsidiaries of foreign entities are sometimes allowed into the competition but need to be thoroughly examined and discussed)
- The business must have been established for at least 2 years as of 1st January 2019
- If the company is run by a management team, the maximum number of team members who can jointly be conferred the award is three
- Exclusive network: Entrepreneur Of The Year alumni represent some of the most influential, innovative and exclusive entrepreneurs in the world. Winners become part of this influential and exclusive community. They also gain access to investors, key business leaders, speaking engagements and media opportunities
- Brand awareness: Just being nominated can elevate awareness of your company through exposure to other entrepreneurs, sponsors, judges and guests. The winners also benefit from significant awareness internationally which could drive the next phase of your company’s growth
- Recognition: For contribution to the community, entrepreneurial sector and the national economy
- Stronger relationships: Investors, customers and potential recruits take notice of award finalists and winners. Employee morale can be lifted across the organization
EY Entrepreneur of the Year Malta
Mr Angelo Xuereb
Chairman, AX Holdings Ltd.
Mr Alfred Pisani
Chairman, Corinthia Group
EY Rising Star
Mr Shane Hunter
Technical Director, AquaBioTech Group
Mr David Vella
Co-founder and CEO, Altaro Software
Tips to get your application noticed
A strong, well-written nomination is powerful and compelling to the judges. Consider these points when completing the nomination form:
- Tell your story: This is all about one of the most prestigious business awards in the country. Humility has its time and place — this isn’t it. Write your narrative in the third person. It’s easier to be creative and expand on what you’ve done when you write from this perspective.
- Understand the evaluation process: Focus on the criteria the judges look for.
- Make it engaging: Your story should be truthful, vivid and engaging. Make it stand out.
- Be concise: Keep to the word count. Brevity is a virtue here.
- Demonstrate results: You can’t measure dreams, but you can quantify growth. Use specific numbers, percentages and statistics.
- Compare yourself to others: How do you stack up to the competition and differentiate yourself in the market? Convey those factors, remembering that judges may be unfamiliar with your industry.
- Persuade: Convince the judges that they’re reading about a real winner. Be authentic. Be enthusiastic.
- Polish and edit: Write it. Take a break. Then go back and read it with fresh eyes, changing what you need to make it shine.
- Be on time: Nomination submissions are due with a firm deadline of the 15th February 2019 .
Hall of Fame
Find out who belongs to this global elite group, the World Entrepreneur of the Year
2018 - Rubens Menin, MRV Engenharia e Participações S.A., Brazil
2017 - Murad Al-Katib, AGT Food and Ingredients Inc., Canada
2016 - Manny Stul, Just Energy Group
2015 - Mohed Altrad, Altrad, France
2014 - Uday Kotak, Kotak Mahindra Bank, India
2013 - Hamdi Ulukaya, Chobani, Inc., United States
2012 - James Mwangi, Kenya's Equity Bank Limited, Kenya
2011 - Olivia Lum, Hyflux Limited, Singapore
2010 - Michael Spencer, ICAP plc, United Kingdom
2009 - Cho Tak Wong, Fuyao Glass Industry Group, China
2008 - Dr. Jean-Paul Clozel, Actelion Pharmaceuticals Ltd, Switzerland
2007 - Guy Laliberté, Cirque du Soleil, Canada
2006 - Bill Lynch, Imperial Holdings, South Africa
2005 - Wayne Huizenga, Huizenga Holdings Inc., United States
2004 - Tony Tan Caktiong, Jollibee Foods Corporation, Philippines
2003 - Narayana Murthy, Infosys Technologies Limited, India
2002 - Stefan Vilsmeier, BrainLAB AG, Germany