Support for entrepreneurship in Russia
EY Russia Sustainability Report
Financial years 2013-2014
EY has supported entrepreneurship in Russia for a many years. EY helps entrepreneurs – big or small – realize their potential and reach new heights in business.
International Entrepreneur Of The Year Award in Russia
The Entrepreneur Of The Year Awards have been held in Russia since 2003. This most prestigious global award for entrepreneurs is unique in recognizing the entrepreneurial successes of people who inspire others with their ideas, enthusiasm and achievements.
The Entrepreneur Of The Year Award now spans over 145 cities in 60 countries worldwide. During the award’s twelve-year history in Russia, 450 entrepreneurs from various regions have taken part.
Russia’s Entrepreneur Of The Year 2013
«An entrepreneur is born to change the world for the better or at least to solve problems that need solving. I’m very proud to be a member of this creative community, and the 2013 Entrepreneur Of The Year Award is a high evaluation of my efforts.»
Russia’s Entrepreneur Of The Year 2012
«Winning the Entrepreneur Of The Year Award is an unforgettable experience. We work hard every day and don’t expect recognition, but it’s so gratifying at times to be recognized by a distinguished panel of judges.».
Learn more about the award at eoy.ru.
We contribute, as partners, to a number of programs supporting entrepreneurship, including:
- The Global Student Entrepreneur Awards, an international competition sponsored by the Entrepreneurs’ Organization that brings together contestants from forty countries. Alexander Ivlev, EY’s Country Managing Partner for Russia, is on the panel of judges.
- The Center for Entrepreneurship, an organization that works to support entrepreneurship and raise its profile in Russia.
In 2013 EY teamed up with the Center for Entrepreneurship to assist a research group at St. Petersburg State University’s Graduate School of Management in producing the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) in Russia.
In 2013 EY published the «G20 Entrepreneurship Barometer 2013: The Power of Three.» This study uses four key parameters to analyze the entrepreneurial climate in Russia: strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
Programs and communities that support entrepreneurship on a global level
EY centers and academies
EY has created centers and academies that draw on 30-plus years of experience in working with the world’s most dynamic and ambitious companies — from startups and emerging enterprises to rapid-growth companies and market leaders. This qualifies us to create centers and academies for the support and development of entrepreneurship on a global level.
- Global Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation. This online platform provides guidance to entrepreneurs and innovators on planning for the future and how best to access funding. The platform includes details of entrepreneurial programs, conferences and forums, and it provides access to an extensive global network. Learn more.
- Global Family Business Center of Excellence. This center of excellence brings together EY advisors from various countries to share knowledge and insights for family-owned companies, wherever they operate in the world. Learn more.
- EY Junior Academy. This center offers training programs for young successors to family businesses. To succeed through generations, family businesses must instill their founders’ values in the generations that follow. Trainees learn what’s involved in running a family business and making hard management decisions in order to develop their potential as visionary leaders.
Increasing opportunities for women in business
Between 2002 and 2007, total income generated by women around the world increased by nearly US$4 trillion to US$9.8 trillion. By 2017 women’s income will jump by almost USD 6 trillion to USD 15.6 trillion, according to EY’s study «Women make all the difference in the world.»
EY and EY Russia help increase opportunities for women in business in a number of ways.
Global Women in Business Advisory Council (GWBAC). EY’s GWBAC is a network that helps to promote, support and better understand women in business.
Women business owners and leaders are able to benefit from:
- access to capital
- a forum to exchange ideas and experiences
- mentoring opportunities
- one-to-one coaching
- access to a wide network of peers and thought leadership relevant to them
Entrepreneurial Winning Women. Launched by EY in 2008, the Entrepreneurial Winning Women Program is designed to support entrepreneurial women and open up opportunities for career growth among women. The program, which includes an annual competition and a series of learning projects, has been held in Russia since 2013 as part of EY’s global initiative to support entrepreneurship.
Learn more about the program at www.ewwrussia.ru.
Support for the young generation
EY Russia takes great interest in the young generation: our people act as mentors, teachers and friends, helping young people set the right goals and move in the right direction.
We are involved with the student population and work with educational institutions in Moscow and the regions.
Changellenge. EY Russia is active in supporting a number of student business competitions. EY is the official sponsor of Changellenge, Russia’s premier business case championship.
Enactus. EY has been an Enactus platinum sponsor for several years, playing a key part in its international student-project competitions. These projects are designed to solve social, environmental and economic problems
Young Tax Professional of the Year. In 2013 EY supported the «Young Tax Professional of the Year» award, and our partners and professionals were on the international panel of judges.
Lectures and master classes in Moscow
We offer training, master classes and lectures on corporate finance and various aspects of assurance, tax and legal services as well as classes to develop students’ personal and professional skills. These learning events are offered at all of Moscow’s top educational institutions. Moreover, the Financial University has established an EY Department, enabling us to offer university-approved lecture courses and recruit interns and employees for EY’s assurance and tax practices.
This year EY’s Moscow and Novosibirsk offices opened business schools where students can immerse themselves in EY’s business practices, study business cases based on the experiences of our colleagues, get acquainted with the firm’s management and participate in seminars and business games.
The series «Being Smart Is Always in Fashion» received a lot of positive feedback. Lectures on art, photography and design by top specialists in their fields are popular with students and EY employees alike.