Future proofing corporate governance – reflections and practical questions for board consideration
This report is based on a series of roundtables held with FTSE 350 company secretaries to discuss first hand how their boards are responding to the accelerated pace of change in the world and business environment, driven by technology, globalisation and public opinion.
Our discussions spanned four themes:
- Impact of disruption on business models
- Challenging traditional governance processes and structure
- Licence to operate amidst growing inequality
- Accountability in the shareholding chain
We gained fresh perspectives and ideas from the roundtables which boards can use to start exploring whether their governance processes and structures ought to evolve to respond to these new challenges.
- To help provoke debate and discussion in board rooms, we have posed key questions under each theme. The executive summary, which can be downloaded separately (560K), summarises these.
- We have also included some case studies to highlight examples mentioned by attendees or that we have become aware of from our wider work.