Ayman Asfari of Petrofac Limited is UK Entrepreneur Of The Year 2010
Tuesday 19 October 2010: Ayman Asfari, Group Chief Executive of oil and gas company Petrofac Limited, was named EY ‘UK Overall Entrepreneur Of The Year’ in London last night.
Sponsored by Credit Suisse and hosted by Fiona Bruce, the awards ceremony was held at The Park Lane Hilton Hotel. Ayman competed with 42 other business leaders from companies across the UK including: Moonpig.com, SuperGroup PLC, Stagecoach Group PLC, and Divine Chocolate.
“A five star entrepreneur”
After joining the business in 1991, Ayman identified an opportunity that would transform Petrofac from a US$1mn US domestic business to a leading international services company worth US$8bn. The judges described the business leader as “an outstanding, five star entrepreneur”.
Richard Hall, UK Entrepreneur Of The Year Leader and Partner at EY said: “The phrase that kept coming up in connection with Ayman’s achievements was, “quite simply phenomenal”. All the judges were blown away not just by the individual’s achievements, but also by the short timescale for the phenomenal growth of the business.
“Ayman has shown exceptional judgement during periods of adversity, building a global business on strong, simple principles. He has been the driving force behind an outstanding business that today is worth billions.”
As the first and only truly global award of its kind, EY Entrepreneur Of The Year celebrates those who are building and leading successful, growing and dynamic businesses, recognising them through regional, national and global awards programs in more than 140 cities in more than 50 nations.
Ayman will now go on to compete globally with more than 50 other country finalists at EY World Entrepreneur Of The Year awards in Monte Carlo in June 2011. Last year’s winner, Michael Spencer of ICAP plc, was the first UK business leader to be named World Entrepreneur Of The Year.
2010 National judging panel:
The awards were judged by an independent panel of leading business figures including: Chairman of the judges the Rt. Hon. Lord Young of Graffham PC DL, Founder and Chairman, Young Associates Ltd; David Whileman, UK Head of Growth Capital, 3i Group plc; Ishbel Macpherson, Non Executive Director, GAME Group Plc; James McNaught-Davis, Managing Director, WHEB Venture Partners LLP; Mark Poole, Group CFO and Deputy Group CEO, Virgin Group; Martina Milburn, Chief Executive, The Prince's Trust; Michael Spencer, CEO, ICAP plc; Nick Prest CBE, Chairman, AVEVA Group plc, Cohort plc and Shephard Group; Norman Murray, Chairman, Cairn Energy PLC; Phil Smith, Vice President, Cisco UK & Ireland; Richard Harpin, CEO, HomeServe plc; Dr Wolfhart Hauser, CEO, Intertek Group Plc.
Full list of UK Entrepreneur Of The Year 2010 Award Recipients as follows:
- UK Overall Entrepreneur Of The Year: Ayman Asfari, Petrofac Limited
- UK Business products & services Entrepreneur Of The Year: Christian Nellemann, XLN Telecom Holdings Limited
- UK Consumer products & services Entrepreneur Of The Year: James Benamor, Richmond Group Limited
- UK Emerging Entrepreneur Of The Year: Sara Davies, Crafter’s Companion Limited
- UK IT Services Entrepreneur Of The Year: Michael Tobin, Telecity Group plc
- UK Master Entrepreneur Of The Year: Brian Souter, Stagecoach Group PLC
- UK Cleantech Entrepreneur Of The Year: Dr Michael Edelman, Nanoco Group Plc
- UK Digital & innovation Entrepreneur Of The Year: Nick Jenkins, Moonpig.com Limited
- UK Oil & gas & products & services Entrepreneur Of The Year: Ayman Asfari, Petrofac Limited
- UK Retail Entrepreneur Of The Year: Julian Dunkerton, SuperGroup PLC
- UK Science & Technology Entrepreneur Of The Year: Richard Green, Ubisense Trading Limited
- UK Social Entrepreneur Of The Year: Sophi Tranchell, Divine Chocolate Limited