Welcome to our newsroom
Read our news releases.
- Miners' productivity battle with 'diseconomies of scale'
Monday, 20 October 2014
The size and complexity of mining operations have created “diseconomies of scale” and are a significant factor in diminished productivity in the global mining sector, according to a new research report by EY and the University of Queensland (UQ), released today.
- A third of Australians have missed electricity bill payments
Monday 13 October 2014
Our latest survey highlights opportunities for retailers to attract market share by better meeting the customers’ needs in controlling energy use and by managing “bill shock”.
- Co-founders of Oyster Consulting join EY
Thursday 9 October 2014
EY announced today that the two co-founders of Oyster Consulting James Chapman and Dean Felton have joined the Oceania Advisory team.
- PE-backed listings drive IPO market, strong Q4 expected
Thursday 2 October 2014
Australian IPO activity continues to climb with 44 IPOs raising US$8514.8m in the first nine months of the year – already equalling the volume of IPOs for 2013 and well exceeding the total US$5368.6m raised during 2013, according to the latest quarterly EY Global IPO Trends: 2014 Q3.
- Mining services companies survive – for now
Friday 26 September 2014
Diversification, efficiencies and innovation will be the best recipe for survival for mining services companies under ongoing pressure from a mining sector focused on productivity.
- $44 billion IT spend not translating into expected productivity gains
Wednesday 24 September 2014
Productivity across Australia has decreased over the past 12 months with IT investment and innovation identified by workers as a key opportunity to improve productivity.
- EY acquires power and utilities sector consultancy
Tuesday 9 September 2014
EY is acquiring one of Australia’s leading energy market systems and modelling consultancies, Roam Consulting Pty Ltd.
- EY and dsd Consulting form major talent and remuneration service
Monday 1 September 2014
EY New Zealand has joined forces with dsd Consulting - a market leader in the specialist area of Total Rewards Management - to form the largest, full-service talent and rewards advisory practice in New Zealand.
- Media and entertainment industry looks to digital for growth
Wednesday 27 August 2014
Accelerating digital and online distribution will dominate the agenda of three quarters of the media and entertainment (M&E) industry in the coming year.
- EY to bolster climate change and sustainability services team with acquisition
Tuesday 26 August 2014
The combined technical and strategic capability of Net Balance and EY teams will provide clients with unique expertise to help them meet their sustainability challenges.
- EY names WA’s winning entrepreneurs for 2014
Friday 22 August 2014
Four of Western Australia’s most inspiring entrepreneurs haven taken home the top honours from last night’s 2014 EY Entrepreneur Of The Year Western Region awards ceremony.
- Pensions under pressure
Thursday 14 August 2014
New EY report the highlights inevitable need for rapid reform and greater transparency in international pension and retirement systems.
- Power and utilities Q2 deal activity hits four-year high
Monday 11 August 2014
Deal activity in the global power and utilities (P&U) sector spiked in Q2 2014, with deal value and volume rising to US$58.1b and 128, respectively.
- Top entrepreneurs honoured at Sydney awards night
Friday 8 August 2014
Four outstanding entrepreneurs from NSW and the ACT took out top honours at the 2014 EY Entrepreneur Of The Year Eastern Region awards ceremony in Sydney.
- Queensland’s top entrepreneurs take centre stage
Friday 1 August 2014
Four outstanding Queensland entrepreneurs took out top honours at last night’s 2014 EY Entrepreneur Of The Year Northern Region awards ceremony in Queensland.
- EY’s customer insights capability enhanced
Friday 25 July 2014
EY has moved to acquire one of Australia’s leading market research firms Sweeney Research Pty Ltd.
- South Australian entrepreneurial stars shine
Friday 25 July 2014
Four outstanding South Australian entrepreneurs took out top honours at last night’s 2014 EY Entrepreneur Of The Year Central Region awards ceremony in Adelaide.
- Tax functions under pressure on all fronts
Monday 21 July 2014
Despite increasing pressure on all fronts the tax functions of Australian businesses are slow to change their operating models, EY said today.
- Victorian entrepreneurs honoured for achievements
Friday 18 July 2014
Six outstanding Victorian entrepreneurs took out top honours at last night’s 2014 EY Entrepreneur Of The Year Southern Region awards ceremony in Melbourne.
- EY welcomes Financial System Inquiry Interim Report
Tuesday 15 July 2014
EY Oceania Financial Services Leader, Andrew Price said, “Some of the key themes raised in the Interim Report around competition, financial advice, stability, superannuation and retirement incomes pose vital questions when it comes to the future structure of the system.”
- Local and global IPO recovery continues
Tuesday 15 July 2014
The local and global IPO markets recovery has continued to end the first half of the year strongly, according to EY Global IPO Trends: 2014 Q2.
- Real estate deal making confidence on the rise
Friday 27 June 2014
Real estate executives believe the global economy is improving and this is reflective of a growing confidence to invest in real estate assets.
- Increased confidence boosts entrepreneurs’ hiring plans
Wednesday 25 June 2014
Seventy-six per cent of the world’s top entrepreneurs plan to increase the size of their workforce in the year ahead by an average of 19%, according to EY’s latest Global Job Creation Survey.
- Statement from Opera Australia regarding Ms Tamar Iveri
Monday 23 June 2014
Opera Australia confirms soprano Ms Tamar Iveri will not be performing in Otello.
- Tax system in disarray, bold action required
Tuesday 17 June 2014
Australia needs a Tax Reform Commission to take responsibility for reforming a system in disarray, EY CEO Rob McLeod said today.
- Deregulation and digital drive deal-making
Monday 16 June 2014
Confidence in the global economy and increased availability of finance is providing fertile ground for deal-making in the media and entertainment sector.
- Failure to adapt to new technologies number one risk for telcos as industry approaches tipping point
Friday 13 June 2014
Telecommunications companies (telcos) must adapt their business models to accommodate the ever-growing number of new technologies or risk missing out on growth opportunities warns a new report by EY.
- Heat turned up on tax
Friday 23 May 2014
Australian companies operating across borders are feeling the heat of a global trend towards increasingly aggressive tax authorities, EY said today.
- 83 Aussie entrepreneurs in the running for Entrepreneur Of The Year title
Monday 19 May 2014
EY today announced the elite group of entrepreneurs from around the country who are in the running to be named as this year’s Australian EY Entrepreneur Of The Year™.
- Power sector transformation will drive deals
Friday 16 May 2014
Disruptions to traditional business models across the electricity generation, network and retail sector will become a key driver in deal values in the sector, EY Oceania Power & Utilities Leader, Matt Rennie, says.
- Federal Budget 2014-15: A work in progress
Wednesday 14 May 2014
The Federal Budget takes many steps towards balancing the books by addressing spending but is unnecessarily tentative on the revenue side of the equation, EY said.
- The race for growth
Thursday May 8 2014
EY's analysis of the Australian major banks' 2014 half year results asks the question: where is the growth going to come from?
- Right ingredients for corporate M&A return
Monday April 28 2014
The essential ingredients for a lift in M&A activity are back for Australasian corporates, the results from EY’s 10th and latest six-monthly Australasian Capital Confidence Barometer show.
- New research points way to oil and gas productivity gains
Monday April 7 2014
A new report released today by EY and the University of Queensland Business School points the way to productivity gains in the Australian oil and gas sector, particularly in $1b-plus megaprojects.
- Banks must focus on personalised service
Friday 28 March 2014
Australian banks need to focus on personalising customer experiences or risk losing share to non-traditional players, according to EY’s new global consumer banking survey.
- Only 11% of Australians regularly use mobile money
Tuesday 18 March 2014
The proportion of mobile phone users actively using mobile money in Australia is tiny, with just 11% of those surveyed using the service regularly, according to EY’s Mobile Money – the next wave of growth report.
- Industry consolidation, market reforms and emerging markets to drive global power and utility deals in 2014
Friday 7 March 2014
The anticipated privatisation of generation and network assets in NSW and Queensland will drive transaction activity in the Australian power and utilities sector in the near to medium term, according to EY’s latest quarterly Power transactions and trends report.
- Australian organisations sleep walking into non-compliance as new privacy laws come into force
Monday 3 March 2014
Many organisations will not be fully compliant with the new privacy laws which come into force on March 12 and are ill-prepared for the implications.
- EY boosts Perth arts support with Sculpture by the Sea sponsorship
Friday 28 February 2014
EY has announced a new three year sponsorship with Sculpture by the Sea, Cottesloe, including the EY People’s Choice Prize.
- Australia falls in renewable energy investment rankings
Friday 28 February 2014
Global investment in renewable energy fell 11% in 2013 and Australia dropped to sixth spot, according to EY’s latest quarterly Renewable energy country attractiveness index (RECAI).
- EY appoints new Oceania Advisory Leader
Tuesday 25 February 2014
EY today announced Bill Farrell as the new Oceania Advisory Leader.
- $40 billion of potential spending impacted every year by poor experiences
Tuesday 25 February 2014
Australian businesses lose more than $720 for every negative customer experience, according to the latest EY Customer Experience Series survey The cost of complaining.
- Aussie entrepreneurs, it’s your time to shine
Monday 24 February 2014
Know an inspirational Australian entrepreneur who deserves to be recognised? Nominations are now open for the 14th annual EY Entrepreneur Of The Year™ awards.
- Global ETF AUM to surpass hedge funds in 18 months
Thursday 6 February 2014
The exchange traded funds industry could surpass the hedge fund industry in assets under management in the next 12-18 months according to EY’s Global ETF Survey.
- EY appoints Andrew Metcalfe AO as a Canberra Partner
Thursday 6 February 2014
EY today announced that Andrew Metcalfe AO is joining its Government and Public Sector team, based in Canberra.
- Decade low for mining deals, gradual return to M&A expected in 2014
Tuesday 4 February 2014
EY's report, Mergers, acquisitions and capital raising in mining and metals: 2013 trends, 2014 outlook, shows the deal inertia evident in the sector last year and points to a gradual return to M&A in 2014.
- Continuous innovation at the centre for M&E companies
Wednesday 29 January 2014
EY’s Sustaining digital leadership study, released today, shows leading media and entertainment (M&E) companies are putting continuous innovation at the centre of everything they do.
- Transactions market heating up as companies focus on growth
Monday 20 January 2014
The first quarter of 2014 is shaping as the busiest period for transactions in Australia in “many years”, EY Oceania Transactions Leader Graeme Browning says.
- Confidence growing in Media and Entertainment sector
Tuesday 14 January 2014
The media and entertainment industry is starting 2014 with a high level of confidence in the global economy, according to EY's 9th Capital Confidence Barometer.
- Static allocations may foil hedge fund growth ambitions
Tuesday 10 December 2013
As the hedge fund industry matures, managers who survived the financial crisis are beginning to focus on growing beyond their original business models.
- Cyber-crime: significant threat to survival of Australian organisations says EY
Tuesday 10 December 2013
Forty per cent of Australian senior executives report that the number of security incidents in their organisation has increased over the last 12 months.
- Confidence, deal activity improving in power and utilities sector
Thursday 5 December 2013
Transaction volumes and confidence are up in the global power and utilities sector, with a further uptick in deal activity expected both locally and globally in 2014.
- Deal making confidence improving in Australian technology sector
Friday 29 November 2013
Sixty-eight percent of technology executives believe the global economy is improving, with another 20% indicating the economy is stable.
- SEEK co-founder crowned Australia’s top entrepreneur for 2013
Friday 22 November 2013
Andrew Bassat, Chief Executive Officer and co-founder of pioneering online job marketplace SEEK, is the 2013 Australian EY Entrepreneur Of The YearTM.
- Cyber-hacking threat increasing for mining and metals companies
Thursday 21 November 2013
Cyber-hacking is becoming increasingly pervasive in the mining and metals sector, with the potential to soon be a top 10 strategic risk, according to EY Oceania Mining & Metals Advisory Leader Nathan Roost.
- Gender disparity highlighted by overseas assignment figures
Wednesday 20 November 2013
Australian businesses need to work harder to achieve a gender balance in overseas assignments EY said today as survey figures revealed that male employees take up more than 80% of international deployments.
- Renewed Chinese investment in mining M&A
Monday 18 November 2013
Renewed Chinese investment and increasing private capital interest may be key to mining and metals sector deal activity in Australia in the near term, according to EY Asia-Pacific Mining & Metals Transactions Leader Paul Murphy.
- Deals back on corporate agenda to deliver growth
Wednesday 6 November 2013
The number of Australian companies intending to make acquisitions has soared in the past six months, EY’s latest six-monthly Australasian Capital Confidence Barometer shows.
- 2013 Australian major banks’ full-year results
Monday 4 November 2013
EY’s analysis of the full-year results of the big four banks shows that they have delivered a record profit outcome of $27.4 billion.