Trade forms the backbone of the world’s economies, spurring investment, job creation, economic growth, and raising standards of living.
Global trade is being increasingly disrupted as tariff tensions, political unpredictability, protectionist policies and regulatory uncertainty challenge established business models and trade relationships.
The resulting inefficiencies were challenging when the trade environment was stable. But in our increasingly volatile times with COVID-19, Brexit as well as trade and political tensions at both local and global levels, the stakes are far higher.
Now should be a breakthrough era for international trade, as technological advances are making new forms of business possible, built on a foundation of data and insight. EY professionals can help you build an integrated approach by:
- Shaping responses to changing global tariffs and trading relationships
- Reducing cost, risk and delays from your trade network
- Driving better insights through data
- Reimagining your supply chain operating model
- Leveraging technologies
EY Global Trade Updates
TradeWatch Global Insights
The Global Insights section covers a wide range of trade topics and developments from around the world:
- How can businesses navigate government supply chain resilience initiatives?
- Navigating the gender disparity gap in trade – if not now, when?
- What the WTO’s 12th Ministerial Conference outcomes mean for business
TradeWatch EMEIA Insights
Under the EMEIA chapter, authors discuss the impact on business of some key court rulings, including:
- CJEU rules on the liability of indirect customs representative for import VAT
- EU: CJEU rules on use of statistical data for determination of customs value
- EU: New version of Compendium on Customs Valuation released
- Germany: Hamamatsu – the journey nears its end
- Norway: Common errors when importing and exporting goods
- Switzerland: Elimination of import customs duties on industrial goods from 1 January 2024
- United Arab Emirates: Key Trade Agreement plans for 2022
Focus on Sustainability
As the sense of urgency around climate change and the environment continues to grow, businesses are facing rapidly changing policies, shifting stakeholder expectations and evolving business priorities.
In this edition of TradeWatch, we highlight some key sustainability topics and issues impacting the trade function, including:
- Opportunities arising from the EU’s new plastic packaging measures
- New plastic taxes in Italy
- Upcoming carbon measures in the EU and UK.
Our latest thinking
On the agenda (4)Skip
Global tax reform
Tax leaders’ agenda
Like what you’ve seen? Get in touch to learn more.