Decarbonization transformation services
Companies need to decarbonize faster. The overwhelming scale, urgency and complexity of the challenge can make it hard to move forward with confidence. EY can work with you to accelerate progress by simplifying decisions, defining the right roadmap, and delivering the actions that create the most value.
What EY can do for you
Get answers to the questions that matter. We help you reach actionable answers to questions such as:
- What are the opportunities and risks related to the net-zero transition?
- How do I create a business strategy that achieves both net zero and my strategic ambitions?
- How do I build a credible net-zero plan and business case that achieves buy-in with stakeholders?
- How do I access the financing required for transformation?
- How can we build and measure trust as we transform?
Comprehensive advice and execution
Get the help you need to execute your plans at any phase of your net-zero transformation journey, supporting any level of maturity with services, such as:
- Greenhouse Gas (GHG) accounting
- Climate risk and opportunity assessment
- Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) and net-zero strategy
- Efficiency and effectiveness programs
- Pathway (scenario) planning
- Marginal abatement cost analysis
- Business model and product service innovations
- Green supply chain and procurement
- Green energy strategy and sourcing
- Compensation and neutralization strategy
- Carbon tools, data and technology
- Steering and reporting
- Decarbonization program management and organizational design
- Assurance (over data and disclosures)
Focus on actions that create impact
At each stage of your net- zero transformation, we can apply any — or all — of our “6+1” operational levers to advance your transition. Navigate the dimensions of the framework below to find out more.
This graph shows six dimensions through which businesses can decarbonize:
1 – Process effectiveness and efficiency
2 – Green your energy supply
3 – Product transformation
4 – Value chain management and green procurement
5 – Circular economy
6 – Business model innovation
+1 – Compensation and neutralization measures
Compensating for emissions through offsetting or neutralization should take place alongside a credible plan to reduce emissions in line with a science-based target, rather than a replacement for reducing operational emissions, which is why we refer to it as +1.
Tap into the support you need at every step
Our multidisciplinary teams can work with you to find ways to transform your decarbonization journey at critical points such as:
- Determination of your organization’s decarbonization objectives
- Analysis of trends to support situational awareness and development potential
- Overview of current legal, tax and regulatory developments as well as international environmental, social and governence (ESG) standards
- Materiality assessment to collect stakeholder input and assess impact
- Climate scenarios analysis according to the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) standard and regulatory requirements
- Long-term value creation and ESG excellence
- Design the climate strategy and target operating model
- Target development according to Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) and Task Force on Climate Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), as well as financial services-specific target setting such as Net-Zero Banking Alliance (NZBA), Net Zero Asset Managers initiative (NZAMi) and Net-Zero Insurance Alliance (NZIA)
- GHG accounting according to the GHG protocol and the Partnership for Carbon Accounting Financials (PCAF)
- Identification of emission hotspots as well as efficient and effective abatement measures
- Development of a stakeholder engagement strategy
- Collecting data and measuring circularity along the supply chain
- Identifying the circularity potential within a company
- Leveraging emerging trends in sustainable research and development, e.g., green hydrogen, smart cities, responsible AI, etc.
- Implementation of a decarbonization roadmap
- Sustainable in-house implementation through our change management and transformation delivery services
- Building momentum with employee engagement
- Identification of reporting lines with clear roles and responsibilities to meet targets with measurable KPIs
- Increasing product sustainability with our lifecycle assessment and eco-design of products
- Smart procurement, green logistics and fuel switches
- Establishing corporate social responsibility (CSR) projects
- Building trust through transparent non-financial reporting and assurance according to accredited standards (EU Taxonomy, GRI, etc.)
- Continuous ESG impact measurement (e.g. Carbon Footprint Tool)
- Carbon accounting and emission reduction verification
- Consulting in investor, client and public relations
- Engagement with relevant stakeholders towards sustainable policy development
The global response to our changing climate is creating requirements, expectations, risks and opportunities that are constantly shifting. Underlying problems that are unrelated to decarbonization — such as poor technology infrastructure — make it even harder to transform.
As a result, many organizations are still not delivering actions that match their public climate commitments. And many more are not moving forward as quickly as they would like.
EY teams can provide the help that you need to execute your plans at any point in your decarbonization journey, transform your business to succeed in a net-zero economy, and build trust with stakeholders.
By developing and implementing a comprehensive and integrated plan, you can make the complex challenges around decarbonization more simple, meet regulatory and stakeholder requirements, and prepare your business to thrive in a low-carbon economy.
We have the real-world experience and end-to-end capabilities needed to build the roadmap that’s right for your business and accelerate the activities that will have the biggest impact.