Environment, health and safety
The compliance, productivity and operational issues in managing environment, health and safety (EHS) risks have become broader and more complex. It is now recognized that managing EHS risks can have a positive impact on workplace productivity and financial performance.
What EY can do for you
EY teams can help clients reduce the risks and consequence of adverse impacts on EHS, and support clients as they make strategic and operational decisions that can help drive effective productivity outcomes and positive employee engagement.
Through deep knowledge and subject-matter experience across the EHS spectrum, EY professionals can support organizations with:
- Strategy setting and development
- Organizational behavior and culture change
- Management system development
- EHS audits and reporting
- EHS risks and controls
- EHS compliance management
EY teams are focused on guiding clients to help improve EHS performance. The teams help prioritize the focus of the EHS program and how it links to the business. This can help clients unlock the potential of EHS to create value rather than being perceived simply as a cost center.
EY EHS services include helping clients transform business processes to help reduce risk and lower costs. This can result in an enhanced EHS strategy, a more balanced and integrated risk focus, and the integration of technology and advanced analytics that can ultimately lead to increased revenue.
- Assisting with statutory, compliance and internal EHS assessments (including assessments against International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standards)
- Performing or assisting with EHS risk assessments
- Co-developing and assisting with large-scale compliance assessments against EHS, quality and other nonfinancial information management systems
- Performing a gap analysis to assess legislation or internal policy compliance
- Conducting EHS due diligence assessments
- Assisting with improvements to reinforce a culture of safety
- Assessing mental health risk management and advising on the development of mental health frameworks
- Advising on resource efficiency, waste management and packaging, and the circular economy
- Advising on asset decommissioning, closure, remediation, restoration, rehabilitation and post-closure strategy, planning, management, and costing
- Assisting with environmental approvals and impact assessments
- Assisting with EHS maturity assessments
- Assessing psychosocial and mental health risks
- Assisting with EHS risk controls selection, design and development
- Co-developing and reviewing EHS management systems and assurance frameworks (including systems in accordance with ISO standards)
- Advising on EHS data management
- Advising on EHS compliance management systems
- Performing EHS data analytics
- Advising on EHS IT system effectiveness and transformation
- Performing EHS internal audits
- Analyzing management and board reporting
EY teams can support the implementation of technology that can help improve the EHS function. This includes developing a strategy to capture data cost-effectively and then using that data to run the business and report on its performance more effectively.
EHS Maturity Model
The EY EHS Maturity Model can help assess the maturity of an EHS risk management program and identify recommendations for program improvements across multiple dimensions (e.g., strategy; people; leadership and governance; assurance and reporting, risk and opportunity; systems and structures; and technology).