EY Entrepreneur Of The Year™ Australia
Celebrating, supporting and connecting entrepreneurs since 2001.
“Entrepreneurs are driven by a relentless urge to create; bringing their bold vision of a better, brighter world to life with passion, persistence, and an artist’s eye for the original.”
Since 2001, the EY Entrepreneur Of The Year™ program has recognised ambitious leaders who build and sustain successful, dynamic businesses and reframe the future.
Resilient, forward-thinking individuals who demonstrate the drive, determination and imagination needed to solve our greatest challenges, and through their artistry, inspire us to strive for a world of possibility.
They are leaders who foster purpose-led, sustainable business practices, resulting in better outcomes for the communities in which they operate and in this time of significant change, they transform and shape new industries and reimagine a better tomorrow.
About the program
As the first and only truly global award of its kind, Entrepreneur Of The Year runs in more than 60 countries worldwide. In Australia, we’ve recognised over 1,700 entrepreneurs for their vision and achievements.
By participating in the program, entrepreneurs can connect with their peers and business leaders; access cutting edge technology and insights to help navigate their growth journey; gain national and international recognition of their accomplishments; share their stories; and raise the profile of their companies and teams.
Each year, the program culminates in the announcement of an overall winner who then competes for the prestigious EY World Entrepreneur Of The Year™ award.
years of supporting entrepreneurs in Australia
business leaders in the Australian EOY alumni network
Australian Winner announced in March 2024
Entrepreneurs forge new paths, ignite change, and light the way toward a better world. Their stories help all of us see the world not as it is, but for what it could be, and that is the true artistry of entrepreneurship.
Receiving recognition as an EY Entrepreneur Of The Year finalist delivers an enormous range of benefits, including:
- Sharing your business story and building your company’s profile in Australia and internationally
- Opening doors and developing new business opportunities with business leaders and financiers
- Opportunities to hear from and connect with other entrepreneurs from around the world, including EY World Entrepreneur Of The Year™ winners through global Q&A sessions
- Access to insights and support to grow your business, including business mentoring and EY Seven Drivers sessions
- Generating pride and morale within your organisation
- Becoming part of an exclusive entrepreneurial alumni community
To be eligible for the program, an entrepreneur must:
- Be a company founder, owner or manager of a private or public company or organisation who is primarily responsible for the recent performance of the company or organisation, and an active member of senior management
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Have a company that has been in existence for at least two years at close of applications
Previous category winners, finalists and entrants may resubmit to be considered for the current EY Entrepreneur Of The Year program.
EY Entrepreneur Of The Year National finalists are judged in one of the following categories.
- Entrepreneurs 35 years of age or less at 31 December 2023.
- Entrepreneurs operating an emerging business with a financial track record spanning two to five years.
- Entrepreneurs developing alternative/new business models or industries.
- Entrepreneurs leading service companies including online businesses (e.g. financial, engineering, architecture, real estate, property, recreation and leisure, education, health, mining services, transport and utilities such as electricity supply).
- Retailers, wholesalers and manufacturers of products from all industries including online or bricks & mortar retailers, FMCG, pharmaceuticals, mining products etc.
- Entrepreneurs leading technology, media and telecommunications companies (e.g. technology developers, software, hardware, telecommunications, internet service providers, digital media and biotechnology).
Social Impact Award Recipient
- This is a non-competitive category that the National EOY team select the Award Recipient
- The entrepreneur needs to communicate an inspiring purpose which enables a more sustainable future and demonstrates outstanding long-term value creation for all stakeholders, including communities and the planet. Innovates solutions to some of society’s toughest challenges, and role models the capacity of business as a force for good.
- The business has been operating for more than 2 years
- The corporate structure can either be non-profit and for-profit to be eligible
- If a non-profit structure the entrepreneur must demonstrate a sustainable business model that does not rely solely on grants.
- Delivers social value and innovation aligned to one or more of the EY Ripples’ global focus areas. For example:
- Entrepreneurs supporting the next generation workforce to help ensure that young and underserved groups are prepared for the working world of the future
- Entrepreneurs accelerating environmental sustainability by driving the adoption of behaviours, technologies and business models that protect and regenerate the environment while unlocking economic opportunity
- Entrepreneurs purposefully driving progress toward one or more of the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Best-in-class: Maintains the highest environmental, social and governance standards across the business, for example being a certified B Corporation
- Performance: Achieves extraordinary social and environmental impact, and measures impact alongside financial performance
Key dates for EOY 2024
- September 2023 - Nomination Open
- October 2023 - Nomination Close
- November 2023 - Finalists announcements and Alumni Events
- March 2024 – Finalist judging and National Awards
- June 2024 – World EOY
Founded in regional Queensland in 1920 – as Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services – Qantas has played a central role in the development of the Australian and international aviation industry. Today the Qantas Group is a diverse global aviation business, comprising Qantas Domestic, Qantas International, the Jetstar low-cost carrier group and Qantas Loyalty.
Our alumni stories
Like what you’ve seen? Get in touch to learn more.