Complaints information in relation to services regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority

Ernst & Young LLP is a multi-disciplinary practice (“MDP”) authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (“SRA”) for the provision of certain legal services. When we provide services regulated by the SRA, we notify clients in writing.

We are committed to delivering quality services. However, if at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service we have provided please let us know as soon as possible, so that we can do our best to resolve the problem.

In the first instance it may be helpful to contact the person who is working on your matter to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues at this stage. If you would like to make a formal complaint, then you can read our full complaints procedure. Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your matter.

If you have concerns about professional conduct or behaviour, in relation to services or individuals regulated by the SRA, you can also raise your concerns with the SRA. The SRA website provides information about how they can help.

What to do if we cannot resolve your complaint

If we haven’t been able to resolve your concerns, the Legal Ombudsman may be able to help you. They will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your case. As an MDP the Legal Ombudsman also has the ability to consider concerns about other services we offer which are not SRA regulated activities but which the Legal Ombudsman considers to be legal services.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • within six months of receiving a final response to your complaint


  • no more than one year from the date of act or omission being complained about; or

  • no more than one year from the date when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint.

If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, please contact them:

Tel: 0300 555 0333 between 9am to 5pm 
Post: Legal Ombudsman PO Box 6167 Slough SL1 0EH

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) 

ADR is a form of mediation, similar to the Legal Ombudsman. Some organisations, such as ProMediate ( deal with complaints about legal services, but you need to obtain our express permission to use such a service before ADR can start. We don’t agree to use any companies within the ADR scheme but will co-operate fully with the Legal Ombudsman should you choose to contact them. 

If your complaint relates to your bill, you may also be able to apply to court for an assessment of the bill under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974. Strict time limits apply to this assessment, and you may wish to seek independent legal advice.