Joining the apprenticeship has given me more experience than I could ever have imagined. I speak to clients daily, and use new technologies to transform tax. Every day is unique and always an opportunity to learn.
Tax Technology and Transformation Apprentice
Tax Technology and Transformation
Tax is undergoing a fundamental and long-term period of transformation as Tax Authorities globally seek to digitise existing tax regimes as well as introduce new, large-scale, complex and data-intensive tax regimes to fight tax evasion and increase tax revenues.
In Tax Technology and Transformation (Tax TT) we help our Financial Services (FS) clients to adapt to the rapidly evolving tax landscape both accurately and cost-effectively.
Technology in Tax TT
Technology is at the core of the services we provide to our clients in response to the following:
- Rapidly changing capabilities in technology
- Ongoing trends toward globalisation, regulation and transparency
- The continuous drive to operate a cost-effective tax function
We work across many industries inclusing, Banking and Capital Markets, Asset Management and Insurance. The projects can span from Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning based solutions to the build, implementation and deployment of Cloud based solutions.
What will you be doing?
- Specialising in Tax Technology but not exclusive to only one area of tax. Due to the nature of Tax TT work, dependent on new tax regulations being published and business need, you may work in different areas of tax such as Indirect tax or Operational Tax
- Contribute to the efficient and successful delivery of Tax Technology and advisory services
- Build and maintain relationships with clients
- Assist in the successful delivery of tax projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical/business driven approach
- Deliver high quality projects and advice to our clients
- Working directly on tax reporting, tax technical research, and data analysis alongside senior colleagues
- Build relationships both within the firm and externally with clients, identifying opportunities and growing your network skills and attributes for success
Are you eligible to apply?
We operate an open access policy, meaning we don’t screen out applications on your academic performance alone.
England and Northern Ireland: You will, need a minimum of grade 4/C GCSE (or equivalent) in English Language and Maths, and to have completed three A-levels or (equivalent e.g. BTEC Nationals) by the time the programme starts.
Scotland: You will need a minimum grade C National 5 (or equivalent) in English Language and Maths, and be working towards completing 5 Highers or be working towards a SCQF Level 6/7 by the time the programme starts.
We welcome applications from all academic backgrounds and are looking for individuals who will succeed at EY in the desired role and future qualifications, therefore throughout our recruitment process your academic performance will be considered against your online assessment scores to determine your suitability for an EY role. We are also proud to partner with RARE recruitment, so that your application can be processed in the context of your socio-economic background. This allows us to give you the maximum credit for your achievements, assessing whether you have overachieved in light of your personal circumstances.
It is therefore important that you provide us with your top three obtained or accurately predicted A-Levels (or equivalent) as these will be verified and considered as part of the offer process should you be successful. Any drop in grades could jeopardise your offer of employment.
Read more about our academic requirements.
ICAEW in England and ICAS in Scotland
Level 7 Apprenticeship*
In Accountancy and Taxation (equivalent to a master’s degree). Learn more here.
*Please note: Level 7 apprenticeships do not apply to EY offices in Scotland.
How’s it structured?
After an EY induction, you’ll join your team in Financial Services where you will commence working in Tax TT. Throughout the programme you will have coaching and training opportunities and lots of support from your team. If you do a great job and achieve your qualifications, you’ll likely be promoted to Senior Consultant by the end of the programme.
In your first year and second year you’ll start studying for a professional qualification Certificate in Finance and Business and across the programme you can expect to be working directly with clients, gathering knowledge and skills you need to reach your career goals.
In your third and fourth year you'll start studying towards the professional and advanced level exams in order to complete the full ICAEW ACA qualification. Alongside your professional qualifications, you’ll also develop skills in:
- Data analytics/visualisation
- AI and machine learning
- Agile/Scrum master
- Solution architecture
- Operations and program management
- Extract, transform, load (ETL) e.g. SQL Server Integration Services, Informatica, Alteryx or similar
- Data management/governance/architecture