The role of CISO will evolve and will require the cybersecurity function to adapt to new ways of working. But the upheaval will be worth it: this is a chance for cybersecurity to become a trusted business partner at the centre of the organization’s value chain, driving transformation and proving its worth.
Now, Next and Beyond of making cybersecurity the heart of business transformation
Making this transition is not straightforward, nor is it the same for everyone. What organizations do next — their CISOs, board and C-suites, and individual functions — will depend on the current state of their cybersecurity functions and the characteristics and objectives of their organizations.
There are, however, five actions that every organization can prioritize to make the most of the opportunity:
- Establish cybersecurity as a key value enabler in digital transformation
- Build relationships of trust with every function of the organization
- Implement governance structures that are fit for purpose
- Focus on board engagement
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the cybersecurity function to equip the CISO with new competencies
Cybersecurity leaders must have commercial sense, an ability to communicate in language the business understands, and a willingness to find solutions to security problems rather than saying no. As the business models evolve to adjust to the new normal, CISOs have a great opportunity to enable the business transformation.