Economy Watch provides an in-depth review of salient developments in India’s macroeconomy and economic policy in a global context.
It has established itself as a thought leadership publication, providing valuable inputs for policymakers in the central and state governments, academicians, industry and businesses and other stakeholders.
Economy Watch was launched for public distribution soon after demonetisation in December 2016. Since then, nearly 75 issues have been published.
It covers various macro-fiscal dimensions of the Indian economy including growth, inflation, government finances, external trade, monetary and financial sectors. It places India in a comparative economic framework using selected developed and developing countries.
Two innovative indices have been developed to capture changes in aggregate demand and macroeconomic imbalances in the Indian economy. The analysis in the Economy Watch is based on monthly, quarterly and annual data sourced from national and international sources.
Every month, a focused theme of contemporary economic importance is identified for a deep and insightful analysis which provides useful inputs and recommendations.
Key highlights for March 2023
- Real GDP and GVA growth fell to 4.4% and 4.6% respectively in 3QFY23 from 6.3% and 5.5% in 2QFY23.
- In February 2023, PMI indicated a sustained robust growth in manufacturing with its level at 55.3. PMI services was at a 12-year high of 59.4 during the month.
- Led by higher growth in electricity and manufacturing output, IIP growth improved to 5.2% in January 2023 from 4.7% in December 2022.
- Driven by elevated food and fuel prices, CPI inflation remained at a high level of 6.4% in February 2023, although marginally lower than 6.5% in January 2023.
- WPI inflation fell to a 25-month low of 3.9% in February 2023, led by moderating inflation in crude and commodities, and aided by a favorable base effect.
- Central government’s gross tax revenues (GTR) grew by 12.6% during April-January FY23 with growth in direct taxes at 16.8% and that in indirect taxes at 8.6%.
- During April-January FY23, GoI’s total expenditure grew by 12.8%, with growth in revenue expenditure at 9.7% and that in capital expenditure at 29%.
- During April-January FY23, GoI’s fiscal and revenue deficits as a proportion of RE stood at 67.8% and 61.1% respectively.
- Growth in bank credit increased to a three-month high of 16.3% in January 2023 from 14.9% in December 2022.
- Contraction in merchandise exports and imports increased to (-)8.8% and (-)8.2% respectively in February 2023, from (-)6.6% and (-)3.6% in January 2023 reflecting moderating global demand.
- Merchandise trade deficit narrowed to a 13-month low of US$(-)17.4 billion in February 2023 from US$(-)17.7 billion in January 2023.
- Net FDI inflows surged to an eight-month high of US$4.1 billion in January 2023.
- Average global crude price at US$80.3/bbl. in February 2023 remained nearly unchanged from its January 2023 level. The US EIA has projected brent crude price at US$83/bbl. in 2023, easing to US$78/bbl. in 2024.
- The OECD has projected global growth at 2.6% in 2023, with India’s FY24 growth forecasted at 5.9%.
Our latest thinking
Click here to download the 2023 editions
Click here to download the 2022 editions
- Economy Watch – December 2022
- Economy Watch – November 2022
- Economy Watch – October 2022
- Economy Watch – September 2022
- Economy Watch – August 2022
- Economy Watch – July 2022
- Economy Watch – June 2022
- Economy Watch – May 2022
- Economy Watch – April 2022
- Economy Watch – March 2022
- Economy Watch – February 2022
- Economy Watch – January 2022
Click here to download the 2021 editions
- Economy Watch December 2021
- Economy Watch November 2021
- Economy Watch October 2021
- Economy Watch September 2021
- Economy Watch August 2021
- Economy Watch July 2021
- Economy Watch June 2021
- Economy Watch May 2021
- Economy Watch April 2021
- Economy Watch March 2021
- Economy Watch February 2021
- Economy Watch January 2021
Click here to download the 2020 editions
- Economy Watch December 2020
- Economy Watch November 2020
- Economy Watch October 2020
- Economy Watch September 2020
- Economy Watch August 2020
- Economy Watch July 2020
- Economy Watch June 2020
- Economy Watch May 2020
- Economy Watch April 2020
- Economy Watch March 2020
- Economy Watch February 2020
- Economy Watch January 2020
Click here to download the 2019 editions
- Economy Watch December 2019
- Economy Watch November 2019
- Economy Watch October 2019
- Economy Watch September 2019
- Economy Watch August 2019
- Economy Watch July 2019
- Economy Watch June 2019
- Economy Watch May 2019
- Economy Watch April 2019
- Economy Watch March 2019
- Economy Watch February 2019
- Economy Watch January 2019
Click here to download the 2018 editions
- Economy Watch December 2018
- Economy Watch November 2018
- Economy Watch October 2018
- Economy Watch September 2018
- Economy Watch August 2018
- Economy Watch July 2018
- Economy Watch June 2018
- Economy Watch May 2018
- Economy Watch April 2018
- Economy Watch March 2018
- Economy Watch February 2018
- Economy Watch January 2018
Click here to download the 2017 editions
Click here to download the 2016 editions
Like what you’ve seen? Get in touch to learn more.