On 31 January 2022, the Government of North Macedonia (hereinafter: the “Government”) has published a public call for establishment of a strategic investment project. The aim of the public call is to encourage, attract and create conditions for the implementation of strategic investments in North Macedonia that would stimulate the increase in the economic growth, employment and application of new technologies and innovations, enhancement of the competitive economic opportunities, an increase of the exports and etc. goals that the Government want to achieve (hereinafter: the “Public call”).
Interested investors should submit their application with the Government no later than 31 January 2023.
1. What is considered to be a strategic investment?
A strategic investment shall be a project that is above EUR 150 mill. However, the Government of North Macedonia has determined the following areas in which as strategic investment is also considered a project between EUR 50-100 mill: energy and infrastructure, transport and telecommunications, processing industry, food industry, waste management, construction and other.
2. Which companies can apply?
A domestic legal entity or a subsidiary of a foreign legal entity, registered to operate on the territory of North Macedonia that meets the requirements and encloses the required documents for obtaining a status of Strategic investment project as set forth by the Government may apply on the public call.
3. What are the benefits that you would get?
As a strategic investor you will be entitled to use state aid incentives, including but not limited to:
- Reduction, exemption, or postponement from payment of public fees (e.g. fee for construction, utility costs, administrative fees);
- Subsidies (reimbursement of costs) for new investments, i.e. financial support for purchasing tangible and intangible assets;
- Writing off or taking over a debt;
- Granting of loans on preferential terms;
- Granting of guarantees by the providers of the state aid based on preferential terms;
- Subsidies (cash grants) for hiring new employees;
- Decrease of the sale prices of land (except agricultural) and buildings owned by the state or local self-government; and
How can EY help you?
EY Skopje is at your disposal to provide further assistance and guidance throughout your investment journey that satisfies your needs, including: