EY UtilityWave is an award-winning, business-led data platform that helps companies transform how they manage, integrate and use data from enterprise systems, IoT devices and other sources to improve performance. Powered by Microsoft technology, EY UtilityWave supports clients in accelerating the digitization of network assets and operations, delivering new energy services and reshaping for the future.
What EY can do for you
A new energy world demands new capabilities. Power and utility companies must act now to reap the rewards of a rapidly changing energy ecosystem.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) are proliferating across the energy value chain. By 2025, more than 50% of power and utility companies will be spending more on automating operations with an emphasis on edge, AI and ML technologies.1
- Distributed generation is accelerating. Self-generating power has already achieved cost parity with grid-delivered electricity in some regions.
- Electric vehicle (EV) sales are expected to surpass those of vehicles powered by internal combustion engines in Europe and China by 2028 and 2033 respectively.
- More engaged, sophisticated customers are increasing their participation in an interconnected energy ecosystem.
- Frequent, and unpredictable, regulatory changes create challenging operating conditions.
EY UtilityWave: your digital network in the palm of your hand
EY UtilityWave helps accelerate the realization of your digital vision by putting control of your entire operations in the palm of your hand. It helps to provide the capabilities needed to tackle the biggest challenges of a decarbonized, decentralized and digitized energy system in one business-centric platform that connects multiple legacy systems, new IoT devices and diverse sources of data. With EY UtilityWave, you’ll be supported with broad visibility and control, helping to identify opportunities to accelerate the energy transition, unlock real value from your data and provide tangible outcomes, including improved customer satisfaction and operational savings.
EY UtilityWave helps you to:
- Plan and improve deployment of devices and drive vendor performance
- Monitor field devices to predict, identify and resolve issues
- Collect, store and analyze data to inform better operational and business decisions
- Leverage AI to support field operators to improve in-field activities
- Fast track the transition of corporate fleets to electric
- Plan, deploy and manage EV charging infrastructure
EY UtilityWave in action: case studies
Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB): Putting customers at the heart of TNB’s transformation
As part of a bold transformation program, Malaysia’s national energy provider, TNB, wanted to become a truly customer-led organization, empowering its customers through a better, digitally enabled experience. The EY UtilityWave team worked with TNB to tackle existing pain points across the company’s digital channels and scale its Customer Experience Platform (CEP).
EY UtilityWave allowed TNB to use emerging technologies such as AI and ML to identify and resolve issues in the customer journey, and develop the “always on” consistently excellent digital experience customers expect. The ability to leverage data from more than one million smart meters also gave TNB the power to enable real-time energy usage analytics, drive better decision-making and rapidly innovate around new microservices that deliver more value for both the business and customers. Read more about EY and TNB.
Midwestern US utility: Building better situational awareness
Mass deployment of assets is one of the most challenging aspects of building a digitalized network with complex vendor landscapes and processes that need to be managed across multiple business functions. When a large Midwestern utility was faced with deploying smart meters to its customers, challenges around vendor management and visibility of deployment performance threatened to impact timelines. EY was tasked with addressing the problem.
Using EY UtilityWave, EY professionals developed a set of integrated deployment applications that gave the utility unprecedented transparency across the end-to-end deployment process. Through a series of interactive analytics dashboards, EY UtilityWave supported the client by providing deep insight into vendor performance, utilizing AI photographic analysis to evaluate installation safety and identifying latency in device connectivity. This data-driven insight enabled the utility to quickly identify and resolve issues before they impacted deployment timelines.
Large West Coast US utility: Providing better understanding of customers and assets
The rising rate of EVs provides both a challenge and opportunity for utilities as they balance the provision of new services to customers with their core focus of maintaining a stable, resilient network. When a large West Coast utility was facing challenges in understanding the performance and customer usage of its EV infrastructure, EY was tasked with addressing the problem.
Using EY UtilityWave, EY consolidated critical data from multiple internal and external sources to provide a single integrated view of the client’s EV charging network. EY then worked alongside the client team to develop a series of device monitoring dashboards that allowed the utility to better understand customer charging patterns and track charge station performance. This visibility equipped the client to better serve valued customer segments, as well as inform the design and build-out of future infrastructure.
Show references#Hide references
- IDC Worldwide Utilities predictions 2021